RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone have a good way to clean electrical connectors? Specifically, I am having issues with the dash wiring connectors in the footwells. The pins are quite small and I have not yet found a way to get them clean. On most every dash I have pulled, these connectors seem to be full of corrosion. Sometimes all systems seem fine, others there are a multitude of issues. In my wife’s truck the left rear speaker pop and/or hiss in wet weather, my truck has lost power and ground to the diagnostic connector, and I have seen all sorts of intermittent issues including bower motors occasionally working. The last truck I did had the large connectors on both sides overflowing with green fluff. The owner did not mention any issues, but I doubt there is good electrical connections on all pins.
Any suggestions, trick, tips, sprays, brushes…
Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
230 Posts
Good (industrial) quality electrical contact cleaner / lubrication aerosols are effective after you have brushed out the loose grot. Best brushes are the smallest glass fibre ones originally sold for de-fluxing hand soldered PCB's. Dunno if they can still be got but anything small and fairlys tiff will do. Maybe the little ones built into the lids of make-up bottles will if cut out of the lid.

An effective technique with the contact cleaner is to spray in, make and break the connector a few times, repeat and give one last squirt before finally re-assembling the connector. No need to drown the connector. Just squirt enough to get it nicely wet.

Clive

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
16 Posts
The first step is to physically clean off as much corrosion as possible. Do not use steel wool or any conductive abrasive as there will be a slight chance the broken metal fibers could short out a few pins. Try to keep the use of abrasives - you don't want to rub off the plating on the connectors. Start with a old tooth brush to scrub the pins and as much of the sockets it can reach. If there is space, a very fine brass brush works well. And as mentioned previously, an acid brush (sold in hardware stores to brush flux on pieces to be soldered) can also work. When as much of the dry corrosion has been removed get out your trusty can of Caig DeoxIt D5 and use as directed. Check out Caig.com to read about it. You can find this @ Radio Shack and on Amazon. Brush the wet connectors and rinse with the spray. Plug and unplug the connector several times to wipe the sockets clean. While not necessary but a nice finishing touch is to spray DeoxIt Gold to put a protective film on the connectors.

Be patient, don't get too ham handed. Good Luck.

·
Administrator
27,802 Posts
For ages I have used a stiff bristle tooth brush followed by contact cleaner. Absolutely never use anything metallic as it can cause shorting of pins as mentioned above.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts