RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2002-2005 Range Rover MkIII / L322
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am finishing a timing chain guide job. Good news- it starts and idles now. No misfire or timing codes.I noticed when I was installing the coils there are two cylinder looking things- they look like capacitors- on the driver side next to the valve cover. They have a heater hose attached. Clearly in the loop going to the heater core. As hot as these things are I cannot imagine its normal. Any guidance? These things were really hot to the touch with just the battery connected. This was before I attempted to start it.I'll try and post a pic but I never seem to be successful at it.

·
Registered
2002-2005 Range Rover MkIII / L322
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
So I did some looking. Apparently its a heater control valve with dual solenoids. The solenoids really get hot. I can't think that is normal. Any insight is appreciated.

·
Registered
2006-2009 Range Rover MkIII / L322
1,167 Posts
Those are the dual heater control valves feeding engine coolant to the driver and passenger sides of the heater core. They are normally open energized closed, so if the HVAC system is set for A/C mode they will be powered closed and subsequently get hot as current flows thru the solenoid coils. Turn temperature settings up above ambient and they will be deenergized and open.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts