RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do all p38's come with electrically heated windscreens?
I have been told that they have a very fine system of wires sandwiched between the layers of glass and it works similarly to the rear window. Mine has a windscreen demist switch but it doesn't seem to work - I was told when I bought my machine that it had recently had the windscreen replaced and I am just a little worried that the seller possibly took a cheap option and used a non-electric screen.
Where would I be able to see the connections - I assume that they will be somewhere around the 'A' pillar?

·
Registered
147 Posts
No, Australian P38's didn't come with the cold weather options (heated seats and windscreen). I believe a heated front window for a P38 is around $1000 compared to $250 for non-heated. I can understand why someone qould replace it with a standard windscreen. The connections are under the black cover below the windscreen.

Stu

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
You should be able to see the heating wires if you look closely, they are vertical.

·
Registered
541 Posts
Heck you don't even need to look all that closely. You'll definitely see the squiggly metal wires running vertically through the entire glass if you have the option. If you look towards the sun through the windscreen you can really see them. Kinda annoying sometimes.

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Mine is a Jap import. It has the HEVAC button for the screen heater and it light up when pressed and relays in the fuse box. I will have to look more closely at the screen and also check the relays - maybe one dud relay takes out both sides of the heating system.

·
Registered
541 Posts
I think mine only works when I use the "program" defrost button.

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I also have been having to use the 'program' button to clear mine - that only seems to send a blast of hot air from the screen vents. That way it slowly clears from the bottom up as the warm air takes effect.
I was just wondering if anybody knows where the electrical connections for the scree element are situated. Mine is a 4.6HSE and I was under the impression that they all have the elements in them. That's why I suspect slightly that the person I bought it from just installed the cheapest screen available to get a WOF (our road worthiness certificate) rather than the correct model.

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
1,219 Posts
Mine didn't have the heated screen option, but it does now :thumb:
There are two power connections at the bottom of the screen at either corner and a central earth point. My hevac had to be changed as it wasn't a heated screen one, but everything else was there including the relays.

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I dropped in to a windscreen fitter yesterday and he knew exactly what to look for. He showed me the very faint pattern of ´squiggly´ wires that only seem to be visible against the right background. The wires in mine look like miniature tread patterns running up the escreen. The serviceman also knew the positions of the various connections and also commented that getting the plastic cover off can be a problem.

I might have to pull the plastic off and check the connections for power etc.

Thanks

·
Registered
541 Posts
Yep that's a heated windscreen. Hopefully you may just have a loose connection or minor corrosion at the connection or whomever put it in didn't make the connections. Unfortunately I wasn't home when they replaced mine so I didn't get a great look at the connections. My drivers side works much better than the passenger side for some reason.

I guess perhaps another area to examine should the connections be good would be the HVAC unit itself, to make sure it is equipped to run the defroster or is functioning correctly.

Best of luck and if you happen to snap a few pics during the process that would be cool.

·
Registered
186 Posts
The connectors below the windscreen may appear to be connected, but because there made to be weather-tight, the friction fit tends to stop short of making electrical contact. Push like hell and you feel a subtle click. Most of the windscreen fitters don't make the effort, or check to see if the heating wires are working. When they do work, they heat up the gel in between the two layers of glass and it distorts your vision. Makes you want to puke if they're on too long.

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Chris you got it exactly right about not being plugged in. Who ever did the replacement job had pushed the connections into each other but only a little - just enough to look right but not make contact. They are a bit of a silly design!!

I couldn´t figure out what was wrong until I accidentally knocked one of the plugs out. Then it was a hell of a job trying to get them in properly until I noticed that the ´male´ (inner) part has an O-ring to keep out water. So I gave them a good coating of liquid soap (don´t ask about the alternative) and they both eventually relented under my straining and popped into place. A VERY TIGHT FIT!!

Sorry but no photos - I had already finished the job and reassembled everything before coming back here.

Mind you I do have to replace the plenum cover foam so that might give me an excuse to strip it all down again and take a few snaps.

Boy - am I relieved . . .

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well the plugs not being in place properly was the problem. We have had a couple of quite hairy-chested frosts here this week and the windscreen now clears very quickly each time.

It would appear that the plugs are so difficult to get to connect correctly that either they were just not pushed in far enough or the installler couldn´t be bothered to finish his/her job correctly by applying a little perserverance and conscientiousness to the job.

I am suitable chuffed.

·
Registered
193 Posts
mine is cracked badly... I think I'm just going to get a standard windscreen put in... Is this sacrilegious ?

G

·
0 Posts
triplb25 said:
mine is cracked badly... I think I'm just going to get a standard windscreen put in... Is this sacrilegious ?
No, just foolhardy in Wisconsin.

Check your insurance. A lot of them have screen coverage for a $50 deductable and it shouldn't affect your no claims bonus.

I had mine done recently for a small stone chip in my view.

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I think that most regular ´comprehensive´ car insurances have replacement windscreens built into them. Only ´third party´ will exclude them.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Ouch! Not n option, cehcked wih my insurance... It's a $500 deductible (same as my full comp deductible). The qoute through Safelite is $369.95 installed (plus a possible $90.00 for "supplies"). Guess I'm forking out cold hard cash...

·
Registered
241 Posts
I had mine done at a local shop for $350 out the door with genuine Pilkington glass. Best deal that I have seen so far. Hunt around and find a good deal, dont be afraid to ask for references, or ask to talk to the tech who will do the job.

·
Registered
2006-2009 Range Rover MkIII / L322
36 Posts
I had mine replaced at a glass shop for $380. The dealer quote approached $800.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts