RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, passenger and rear windows have worked sporadically for last few weeks, drivers front window fine.

Fuse is ok and cant hear motors trying to turn etc, any ideas?

I did post this yesterday but the thread seems to have dissappeared, did I post in wrong place?

·
Registered
300 Posts
craigvmax said:
Hi all, passenger and rear windows have worked sporadically for last few weeks, drivers front window fine.

Fuse is ok and cant hear motors trying to turn etc, any ideas?

I did post this yesterday but the thread seems to have dissappeared, did I post in wrong place?
I presume you've tried all of the switches? It might be that the window rubbers are sticking to the glass, graphite powder (try a locksmiths) poured down the window channels can help :thumb:

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
Do you have power in and out of the switch, same with the fuse and at the motor?

I would get a wiring diagram too, knowing LR there are probably another fifty things in the circuit and a couple of multi function units for fun..

·
Premium Member
1970-1995 Range Rover Classic
367 Posts
I had a window ECU fail on me. It started with the rear windows not going up and down. You can pull the cubby box out and at the bottom of the well there is the ECU. Try moving the connector first. I bought my self a few roll ups with just jacking around with the connector. Eventually it failed out right and I had to crack open the ECU to manually move the relays to shut the windows.

Bought a used ECU from Rover Cannibal.

·
Registered
345 Posts
also, besides ecu failing, the circuit is grounded to cubby box mount bolts, these can fail from rust under car, then they come loose, try jumping ground with aligator clips and wire to somewhere else.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
well took cubby box out, checked all plugs connected but no joy, there isnt any sign of rust in there either, anything else i can check?

passenger and rear windows not working at all now

·
Registered
536 Posts
Hi guys,

One thing I've learnt about Land Rover electrics, is that they rarelly actually fail, they just seemed to get gummed up with crud. Havn't really studied the wiring on a 94 model RR. However I had this problem on my 86 rover saloon and 93 model RR, and the problem was the inhibit switch for the back windows. I know on my 93 rangie i've pulled the switches apart and cleaned them as they were dicky in operation; it was easy; and they're very well made. I have a feeling that yours is a soft dash however; I don't know anything about these ones.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
1,069 Posts
Drowned the rangy over the weekend and ended up with drivers window problems. For a while it would go down of its own accord then it stopped that and worked fine, but now it is stuck up. Reading this thread there is an ecu at the bottom of the console box, spray this with WD40?

Also the rear windows only go down half way, but they are both the same. Is this normal?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts