RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone ever installed a electric brake controller for towing a trailer? I have a 2008 range rover HSE, does land rover have the "plug and play" like all of gm, ford and dodge trucks have that you can just plug the brake controller in without running a wire to the back of the truck?

thanks for you help

·
Registered
13 Posts
I just did this about a month ago. Yes there is a plug and play unit you can buy from LR for about $250. Worked out great!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Dzell,
Do you have the link for the plug and play for LR that you bought? How did you install it?
Thanks

·
Registered
13 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Dzell. What about the electric brake controller that goes in the front under the dash. Is that plug and play.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Jdholder,

06-09 range rover sport have plug and play for the electric brake controller so why wouldlnt the range rover not have it?

·
Registered
13 Posts
jenny005 said:
Dzell. What about the electric brake controller that goes in the front under the dash. Is that plug and play.

i did not install a brake controller nor was i told i needed one at the dealership. when all was installed, a trailer symbol shows up on the dash under the speedometer confirming that vehicle recognizes the electric trailer hitch assembly as been installed. I would 'ASS-UME" that this means the rover does some braking/RPM/gearing modifcations to the computer to allow for different driving perameters. just a guess though.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Jenny,

I didn't know the 06+ Range Rover Sports were plug and play for the Electronic Brake Controller to control trailer brakes. I get the feeling a couple people in this thread are mixing up "Trailer Wiring" and "Electronic Brake Controller" pre-wiring.

I know my 2003 Range Rover is NOT Pre-Wired for an Electronic Brake Controller. It is NOT plug and play in this model year. And the article I linked to describes what's necessary to install a Electronic Brake Controller to my model year. I hope the 2006+ Range's are different.

I also know my 2003 Range Rover had a plug in the rear electrical panel where I could plug in the Trailer Wiring to power up a trailer - the wiring came with a 7-Pin trailer plug recepticle - and was fairly "plug and play".

1 - 9 of 9 Posts