RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2010-2012 Range Rover MkIII / L322
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I have a 2012 L322 Westminster and I'm having problems with the drivers electric seat.

The forward / back and up / down motions only move one 'notch' when you move the controls, they wont move continuously when held. Memory doesn't work on these functions either.

Ive replaced the motors and and the switch bank and is still the same.

Any ideas?

TIA, Dan.

·
Administrator
27,819 Posts
Don't forget that you have an ECU/memory module in the mix. It is what actually tells the motors what to do.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, I did see a reference to this in the workshop manual but couldn't seem to find a location or part no. Any advice on how I could find it?

·
Registered
2010-2012 Range Rover Sport
128 Posts
If its anything like a Jag its actually attached to the underside of the seat. Take the seat out and look underneath.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I've taken both out and didn't find much. The surround camera ECU was under passenger seat and heated/cooled seat module under drives seat but this doesnt do motor control. :(

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Anyone? Starting to get a bit desperate on this!

There must be a control module somewhere but I just can't find it!

·
JACK'S GRANDAD
9,244 Posts
Seeing as we don't now if you rig is left hand or right hand drive, as you couldn't be bothered putting your location like asked to do so in the guidelines.....How much do you expect?

·
Registered
2006-2009 Range Rover MkIII / L322
1,194 Posts
The memory control module is part of the drivers side control switch pack. If you are pushing the numbered memory control buttons then that is the proper way the seats work. Those buttons you need to hold in until the seat arrives at its programmed position. If you're pressing the other buttons like a seat tilt lever it should run continuously until you either let go, or the seat reaches a physical limit.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks Mark.

When pushing the memory buttons the steering wheel moves back to the correct position but the seat doesn't move.

When pushing the directions most move in a continuous motion expect seat forward / back and back up/down which move one small notch at a time. You then have to release and push again to get another notch. My garage said no faults are thrown and are not aware of any other modules involved so we are stumped.

Changing the motors and drivers side switch bank appear to have made no difference at all.

·
Registered
2006-2009 Range Rover MkIII / L322
272 Posts
I had this same issue on my 2008 HSE when our local land rover dealer fixed the seat heater. They blamed worn points on the controls and ordered a whole new module, which (of course) did not fix the issue. They ordered another module, installed it, still did not work, and I refused to accept it. They found that they had not hooked up one connection when putting the seat back together. Sorry I do not know the details.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks, interesting point.

Not knowing the connections its hard to check but will be taking a closer look now. Thanks!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
No further on in this one.

Had both seats out checked everything over and put everything back and still no further forward.

Does anyone know what else is involved in the control of 2012 drivers seat other than the motor and switch bank?

·
Registered
405 Posts
If you undo the four bolts which secure the seat to the floor and tip the seat backwards (to lean on the rear seat cushion) you should see four (T30) torx bolts which hold a plastic tray underneath the seat base.

The seat module is "on top" of that tray, so remove the four torx bolts and allow the tray to droop down.

Check the multi-plug connectors which attach to the module.

While the seat's in the air, look along the insides of the fore and aft track towards the front and you should see a small black plastic piece which is riveted to the rail.

That's the fore/aft limit stop. Make sure that that hasn't either been dislodged or disconnected from the seat harness. Follow the two wires out from the limit switch and trace it back to the connector.

You may also want to have a JLR diagnostic hooked up to your OBD II port to download the existing faults logged to see whether there is a log of loss of communication with the driver seat module. While diagnostic isn't inexpensive, throwing parts in the hope that you might get lucky can get expensive too.

While used parts from eBay etc often work, many times the reason such parts were removed in the first place is because they were faulty and replaced under some warranty provision, yet still found their way back into the "good, used" parts stream.

Personally, I've have about a 90% success rate with used parts on eBay (which is particularly frustrating if you've correctly diagnosed a fault yet still have the same fault post "good, used" part replacement)

Rob

1 - 13 of 13 Posts