RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

Did anyone installed a electric cooling fan?

My fan desintegrated yesterday when I was crossing a small river... :evil:

Regards,
Sérgio

·
Registered
701 Posts
Which fan blew up? Your RR already has electric fans. If you blew up your vicious fan behind the radiator, then you probably ought to replace it.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi,

Well, the radiator fan is not electric.. only the AC fans are.. When my rover entered in the water the fan simply desintegrated and hit the radiator...

This is the look of my viscous fan:

For now I will wait and put the same viscous fan.

Regards,

(Sorry about my english) :roll:

·
Registered
276 Posts
Keeping the viscous fan might be the best option, an electric fan will never have the power of an engine driven fan (the viscous fan can take several horses from your engine, if it kicks in and works correctly it is able to move a lot of air).

The only advantage of an electric fan is that you're able to switch them off before a water crossing, so they won't hit the water and push water all over the engine bay.

Sigi

·
LIFETIME CONTRIBUTOR
2002-2005 Range Rover MkIII / L322
5,425 Posts
lrscott said:
If you blew up your vicious fan behind the radiator, then you probably ought to replace it.
Bloody oath! You don't want a vicious fan under the bonnet, it could attack you at any time! `)

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
looool.

Well I already ordered the fan and I will keep it OEM.

My question about the electric fan was because mine it's a diesel and when I start in the morning the fan make a very loud noise of air moving around.. it´s annoying.. :doh: :doh: :doh:

Can the torque converter loose capability of make pressure in time?

Regards,

·
Registered
701 Posts
The reason for the loud noise is the viscous unit. Basically the oil in the fan clutch is not spread out evenly after the vehicle has sat for awhile. When you start the engine, the unit is locked up and you hear the roar of the fan. After about 30 seconds of driving, the fluid is spread out inside the clutch and it resumes normal operation. Mine does the same thing :) .

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hi,

Yes, I know that, but I have to drive a small hill when I start it and everyone looks, you look like a very bad driver stuck in 1st gear... :oops: :oops: :oops: :doh:

I don´t remember my original fan doing that noise, I think that has to do with aftermarket parts quality...

Regards,
Sérgio

·
FOUNDING MEMBER
4,509 Posts
SERSAN said:
Can the torque converter loose capability of make pressure in time?

Regards,

Yes, you'll see mild overheating when driving slowly..traffic, offroad etc, which goes away when driving at speed.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
humm I have to check it out...

Regards,
Sérgio

·
Registered
593 Posts
I thought electric fans were a good idea but it probably cost me an engine. I slipped the liners in mine. It got very warm a couple of times when the electric fans could not keep up and I think this is what caused it. Also the temperature gauge doesn't do what you'd expect. It does nothing until it is too late then it jumps to the very end. It is so heavily dampened it might as well not be there. Might as well be an over HEATED light because it give no warning. For example when towing on a 5km incline it says dead centre until near the end of the hill when it shoots to the red in seconds. I know the engine temperature hasn't changed that fast.

New engine, proper fan and no problems any more. Expensive lesson.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts