RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2002-2005 Range Rover MkIII / L322
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi

Not sure if this topic has been covered but i can't find the answer.

I have removed my EGR valve from my L322 TDv6 04 to clean as it was really gunked up. Its come up nice and clean but my question is should the piston/valve move easily when not in the car. I have tried to move with my fingers but it seems very stiff, obviously i don't want to force it if this is correct. Is there a way to test if the EGR valve is working correctly whilst out of the car.

Before everyone says replace with blanking valve, in the UK our MOT laws are due to change in the next few days and emissions are now tested to a higher level and i don't want to to change it only to fail the MOT.

·
Registered
1,751 Posts
Not sure if this helps but if vacuum operated like on a gas engine the pintle would move readily iirc with vacuum-ie mouth over vac. line and create vacuum. If yours is vacuum operated then that would be the way to check it. Or with a vacuum pump? Just a guess. Keep us posted.

·
Registered
2002-2005 Range Rover MkIII / L322
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i needed the car so just put the ego valve back in once i had cleaned it, i assumed it was still working ok as where the piston would slide in and out was shiny and not covered in black stuff. Now its in the car accelerates much better, ideas better and i think its fuel consumption has improved. My MOT is due in a month or so, hopefully she will pass, once she has i will put the blanking valve on and keep my egr on the shelf and swap out next year for MOT. A bit of hassle every year but i fear the egr could fail and these are expensive to replace.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts