RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

I've been reading in various forums about blanking the EGR valves off on various Land Rover diesels; most notable the 300tdi and even the TDV6. Is this something that would benefit the P38 diesels do you think?

Regards,

Dave

·
Registered
275 Posts
Why do you want do it - to get more power?

EGR systems were originally made to reduce to polution - so if you change / remove the systems function - your car will polute more than allowed...

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
True,

But overall I think that the car may well use less fuel if I could drive it easier because of it having a little more power - was just a thought

Dave

·
Premium Member
1,802 Posts
EGR is cheap way to lower emissions, it merely passes a proportion of dirty exhaust fumes back through the engine resulting in lower power and reduced economy (if driven under the same circumstances).
Diesels in the UK are only required to pass a smoke test rather than a specific measurement of emissions.
Removing EGR on a well looked after engine should result in no problems.

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
865 Posts
Blank it off, this system should of been banned as it causes more problems than its worth..

The inlet manifold gets really coked up with this system which robs you of power and its noticable, the turd brain who came up with this idea should be demoted to pushing a broom

·
Premium Member
1,274 Posts
A correctly functioning EGR will not result in less power as the recirculation valve will be close on full throttle. The only influence being a small disturbance in the intake caused by the valvebody.
However, as said before, with the EGR the intake manifold does tend to coke up, and so does the valve itself often resulting in it never being completely shut.
This will off course reduce airflow and thus power.
As far as emissions are concerned, the real-life effects are negliable, but it is an easy way to pass certain required procedures. (on a related note, here in Europe there is a real boom in cars with exceptionally low fuel consumption. It seems this is for no small part due to the engines being specifically tuned to be as efficient as possible when going through the labtests. In normal roaduse, the effect is often much less!)

If you want to do something about your EGR, don't just blank it of, remove it all together, so there is no more restriction in the air intake either. I'm not sure if there are specific kits for the BMW diesel as fitted to the Range Rover, but I'm sure there are some for 525tds and 325tds. Alternatively (what I do), you can use a kit for a TD5, it just fits, you only have to redrill the holes.

Greetz,

Filip

·
Premium Member
2010-2012 Range Rover MkIII / L322
4,635 Posts
Certain M51 engined p38's that have an EGR fitted also have an engine ECU which controls the EGR. Not sure how this early software would cope with having the EGR removed. Chances are it would be OK though.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Hi,

I done this to mine.

See the pictures here (ignore the language :) ): http://www.forumlandrover.org/index.php?name=PNphpBB2&file=viewtopic&t=19472

Basically, the EGR valve is there to lower emissions on a new engine but... in a engine with 300.000kms like mine, the EGR valve it's just there, don´t even work... like in 90% of the DSE around here..

What I done was, replace the EGR valve for a Kit purchase on Ebay (for BMW 525tds/Opel Omega) then I just take out the other valve that activate the EGR and the Vaccum pump on the top of the engine replacing it for the blanking plate like the earlier engine model. (the blanking plate have a metallic pin on it in the inside surface that have to be cut but this is the only thing to do). Resuming: EGR Out, Activation valve Out, Vaccum pump Out.

Regards,

·
Premium Member
1,274 Posts
Rich998a said:
Certain M51 engined p38's that have an EGR fitted also have an engine ECU which controls the EGR. Not sure how this early software would cope with having the EGR removed. Chances are it would be OK though.
There is no feedback loop for the EGR (there is on more modern engines, including the TDV6 & Tdci I think), so the ECU won't know wether the valve is there or not. :wink:

·
Registered
217 Posts
not exactly, the EGR in fact don´t have any electric connection, so the ECM don´t have any information but that information is given by the Activation Valve that activates the EGR but unlike the modern engines like TDV6 in the P38 you can disconnect the EGR without any problem, don´t enter in safe mode but will record an error in ECM (EGR malfunction).
Honestly I don´t feel any signifficant gain of power but is so much more clean and without the usual oil/air leakages.
More efficient: The air pass direct without the EGR in the middle and in my case, without the vaccum pump is one thing less to engine to drag..

Regards,

1 - 10 of 10 Posts