RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2006-2009 Range Rover Sport
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New GAPster here. Very happy to have what appears to now be a faultless (for the moment) L320, however one little area of the GAP app I was intrigued by was the number of available software updates to my vehicle's various ECU's.

I then, like a good little Land Rover owner, returned to read the menu rather than immediately doing every update I saw, and it wound up leading me to more questions than answers, so here goes.

1. I read this note: "Software updates should only be made when needed and with full knowledge of risks andconsequences this may imply." <-- How exactly does one know if a software update is needed? Would an ECU throw a fault that indicates that a software update is the solution or is there some other method of tracking down the degree of need?

2. Is there a domino effect of sorts with regards to updating ECUs? What I mean is, let's say the app determines that an update is needed for the suspension system and I do that...but didn't do an update for the instrument pack. Will the ECUs play nice with one another regardless of their software versions or once I start will I have to not stop? This is separate from risk, which I'll get to next.

3. The manual does assign risk levels to updates. I'm risk averse. What I'm wondering is, being armed with the knowledge that there are updates for a multitude of ECU's on my vehicle, might the safer path be to simply go to the dealer and pay them to plug it in and do all the updates there...thereby making it their problem should the vehicle wind up bouldered (i.e. much larger than a brick :wink:), or are these updates independent of Land Rover and all handled by BAS (which appears to be 3rd party or am I wrong?).

Thanks for any and all sage wisdom and advice!

·
Registered
2013-2015 Range Rover Sport
47 Posts
anything ever come of this?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts