RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
With only 300 miles on my new 15 SuperCharged, I decided it was time to start messing with stuff. Me, a couple guys with sub standard tools, a dremel, blow torch, sandpaper, and a dog decided to pop the "bonnet" and upgrade the pulley. ECU Tuning Groups video for the procedure is 3 minutes long, I thought well maybe we can do it in 15. Nope, took about 3 hours.

Apparently 1 in 3 superchargers has some extra metal bits (looks like casting marks, mine had it in 4 different locations) under were the stock pulley sits that needs to be sanded down in order for the new pulley to fit. It was a bit funny taking sandpaper (later we switched to a dremel and then to a leathermen!) to a new 113K sticker vehicle. If we didn't have to do that part, we could of completed it in 15 minutes. They provide a pulley puller and a guage tool to aid in the installation. The guage will show you exactly which parts need to be sanded down, and once the guage will sit on the shaft and spin freely it's time to put on the new pulley. You have to heat the new pulley with a blow torch so it expands enough to fit on, so make sure you habe a good set of welding gloves!

The other step was plugging in a computer to the odb2 port and having Jags from ECU Tuning Group flash the ECU remotely over the Internet. They claim the ECU and Pulley give you an additional 103HP for a total of 618. You do have to put some miles on afterwords for the computer to properly relearn everything after flashing, Jags claims its 105.4 miles exactly until it reaches full potential.

The vehicle is now an absolute beast now!!! I highly recommend you do this mod. I'm going to put it on a dyno in about a week to see exactly what we picked up, by my guess is it's about what they claimed if not more, given I live in a cold state that also sells 93 octane gas. I'm getting a VBox so I'll be able to tell you exactly what the 0-60 time is after the mod, Im going to guess its in the 4.0 to 4.2 neighborhood. That's hauling ass for a full size SUV!!

$2000 get another 20% performance out of your 6 figure vehicle? Can't complain about that! Even with the sanding, a dealer would never be able to see any modifications were done as the pulley covers that area up. The only concern would be with the ECU, but it is possible to restore it back to stock. They do also offer the kit without the pulley. The pulley gives you another 1.5psi of boost I believe, which equates to about 40HP. So software only you could still pick up about 65HP if youre afraid of changing the pulley.

They are called ECU Tuning Group, you can find their website via google if anyone is interested.

·
Registered
342 Posts
Very interesting ... so a pulley and a tune will get more out of the motor than the SVR/Type R which put out 550.

I wonder what LR is doing to just get the extra 40HP ... it can't be just a tune difference can it?

Great info though. Thanks.

·
Registered
342 Posts
Warranty implications?
Basically anything related to the engine is gone, and if a tune has been done to change the oem settings the dealer can pretty much deny anything drivetrain related as well. The MM warranty act dictates that a dealer/company has to conclusively prove that the altered/aftermarket part is the direct cause of the warrantable failure, but once you start messing with pulleys and tunes you're almost never going to win that battle. At least that has been my observation from personal experience and the feedback on numerous forums. Most folks that do these types of mods do so knowingly.

·
Registered
742 Posts
Hey soul sea. You got your 15 z07 yet? Mine was built today! I went with the cfz package on a Daytona sunrise automatic. I hope they start shipping soon, but gas guzzler tax fight is raging right now...

·
Registered
342 Posts

·
Registered
213 Posts
Basically anything related to the engine is gone, and if a tune has been done to change the oem settings the dealer can pretty much deny anything drivetrain related as well. The MM warranty act dictates that a dealer/company has to conclusively prove that the altered/aftermarket part is the direct cause of the warrantable failure, but once you start messing with pulleys and tunes you're almost never going to win that battle. At least that has been my observation from personal experience and the feedback on numerous forums. Most folks that do these types of mods do so knowingly.
I had a feeling this was the answer, NEXT not in the mood to invalidate my warranty to pull into a parking lot 2 breaths faster than before

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
Got her about a month ago: http://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c7-z06-discussion/3584811-sg-z06-07-photoshoot.html

Partly why I'm okay with my 'sluggish' 510HP FFRR without adding more go.. :)
Omg! You are the man! That car is just drool worthy. I want one of those when I get rid of my beloved tuned BMW. This new generation of vettes just so much better it's almost two generations better than the car it replaces. Since I don't need space I can see myself with one. It's my dream car.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Myself I couldn't give two craps about the warranty. Never in my life has a warranty saved me from anything. Technically I could restore it back to stock and put the old pulley on if that happened and maybe get away with it. I want my truck to be fast, and if something goes wrong I have the money to fix it. If this was a slight increase, maybe it wouldn't be worth it. But it's HUGE.

I flashed the ECU every car I've owned, all leases, and always traded them back to the dealer. No one has every said a thing about it. When trading a vehicle in all they have ever done is asked for the vin and mileage, they don't even start the vehicle!

About the SVR, you could probably tune that up to 650 easy. You'd also have better handling on the SVR.

I simply cannot overstate how awesome this mod has made my truck drive, if you aren't afraid of voiding warranties, you really should do it. That warranty will be gone at 50k regardless, and it's fairly rare to have a powertrain problem before that time anyways.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Very interesting ... so a pulley and a tune will get more out of the motor than the SVR/Type R which put out 550.

I wonder what LR is doing to just get the extra 40HP ... it can't be just a tune difference can it?

Great info though. Thanks.
Could be a tune difference, and it probably has better cooling. If all they did was change out the headers and exhaust you could pick up 40HP, or maybe they just changed the pulley. If I had an SVR first thing I'd do is be flashing that ECU.

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
Is there any other difference you feel other than same exact truck only faster? My BMW is tuned, but they also tuned the ZF transmission in it and I have a Quaife LSD so even someone who doesnt know but has 335 drives it notice it scompletely different not just a lot faster. Again I have no frame of reference even though I have a sport, I have idea how different it can be with just more boost.

Think of it this way. If I have X amount now, and usually drive in the X-2 range, I may never notice that you added 10 to get X+10=Y. So unless I exceed the X, I can't feel that extra 10 and on this truck I dont think I even come close to extracting 90% of the stock power. Just curious. I am very curious because I also tune and modify near all my cars.

·
Registered
27 Posts
With only 300 miles on my new 15 SuperCharged, I decided it was time to start messing with stuff. Me, a couple guys with sub standard tools, a dremel, blow torch, sandpaper, and a dog decided to pop the "bonnet" and upgrade the pulley. ECU Tuning Groups video for the procedure is 3 minutes long, I thought well maybe we can do it in 15. Nope, took about 3 hours.

Apparently 1 in 3 superchargers has some extra metal bits (looks like casting marks, mine had it in 4 different locations) under were the stock pulley sits that needs to be sanded down in order for the new pulley to fit. It was a bit funny taking sandpaper (later we switched to a dremel and then to a leathermen!) to a new 113K sticker vehicle. If we didn't have to do that part, we could of completed it in 15 minutes. They provide a pulley puller and a guage tool to aid in the installation. The guage will show you exactly which parts need to be sanded down, and once the guage will sit on the shaft and spin freely it's time to put on the new pulley. You have to heat the new pulley with a blow torch so it expands enough to fit on, so make sure you habe a good set of welding gloves!

The other step was plugging in a computer to the odb2 port and having Jags from ECU Tuning Group flash the ECU remotely over the Internet. They claim the ECU and Pulley give you an additional 103HP for a total of 618. You do have to put some miles on afterwords for the computer to properly relearn everything after flashing, Jags claims its 105.4 miles exactly until it reaches full potential.

The vehicle is now an absolute beast now!!! I highly recommend you do this mod. I'm going to put it on a dyno in about a week to see exactly what we picked up, by my guess is it's about what they claimed if not more, given I live in a cold state that also sells 93 octane gas. I'm getting a VBox so I'll be able to tell you exactly what the 0-60 time is after the mod, Im going to guess its in the 4.0 to 4.2 neighborhood. That's hauling ass for a full size SUV!!

$2000 get another 20% performance out of your 6 figure vehicle? Can't complain about that! Even with the sanding, a dealer would never be able to see any modifications were done as the pulley covers that area up. The only concern would be with the ECU, but it is possible to restore it back to stock. They do also offer the kit without the pulley. The pulley gives you another 1.5psi of boost I believe, which equates to about 40HP. So software only you could still pick up about 65HP if youre afraid of changing the pulley.

They are called ECU Tuning Group, you can find their website via google if anyone is interested.
Vid to go with your instructions:

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Is there any other difference you feel other than same exact truck only faster? My BMW is tuned, but they also tuned the ZF transmission in it and I have a Quaife LSD so even someone who doesnt know but has 335 drives it notice it scompletely different not just a lot faster. Again I have no frame of reference even though I have a sport, I have idea how different it can be with just more boost.

Think of it this way. If I have X amount now, and usually drive in the X-2 range, I may never notice that you added 10 to get X+10=Y. So unless I exceed the X, I can't feel that extra 10 and on this truck I dont think I even come close to extracting 90% of the stock power. Just curious. I am very curious because I also tune and modify near all my cars.
I'm sorry to hear you have a BMW :) It's an ECU and pulley swap only, they didn't touch the tranny. So the increase is in the power and torque. You don't need to cross over 515hp to feel the extra 100, as the increase is across the entire power band. You'll feel the difference no matter what RPMs your at, assuming you've driven a stock RR SC before. It's not about being able to max out the engine, which you'll likely do quite infrequently. If this was an RRS Id take it a few steps further, but at the end of the day it's an FFRR and I still want it to feel like a luxury SUV.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I'm sorry to hear you have a BMW :) It's an ECU and pulley swap only, they didn't touch the tranny. So the increase is in the power and torque. You don't need to cross over 515hp to feel the extra 100, as the increase is across the entire power band. You'll feel the difference no matter what RPMs your at, assuming you've driven a stock RR SC before. It's not about being able to max out the engine, which you'll likely do quite infrequently. If this was an RRS Id take it a few steps further, but at the end of the day it's an FFRR and I still want it to feel like a luxury SUV.
What's wrong with BMW?

·
Registered
57 Posts
I have a new 2015 BMW B7 Alpina with 540 HP and its a beast..... Nothing wrong with this Bimmer. My 2015 ATB LWB is also tuned. And it's a beast also.

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
Ha ha IDK. He had me laughing too. But I think he misread. I do have a Tuned BMW, but also have a stock RRS Supercharged dynamic and was wondering about the feel and if its tuned. But he answered the question I asked. Another member will graciously meet up so I can experience it. Maybe the RR crowd is just a tad conservative and there are actually a lot of tuned rigs but their owners dont publicly say so.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Ha ha IDK. He had me laughing too. But I think he misread. I do have a Tuned BMW, but also have a stock RRS Supercharged dynamic and was wondering about the feel and if its tuned. But he answered the question I asked. Another member will graciously meet up so I can experience it. Maybe the RR crowd is just a tad conservative and there are actually a lot of tuned rigs but their owners dont publicly say so.
I didn't misread, I'm just not a BMW fan, my least favorite of the luxury import brands. Who cares what i think though, if you like it-- great!

Hopped on this thread again since I just traded the truck in. Picked up 2 new 15 RR SC, one for me one for my "baby momma". Dealer was pretty stoked to sell 2 in one day. I was hoping to get a 16, but the deal was just too good and the trucks were exactly the color combo we wanted and had the options we wanted too.

So I drove that truck for 9 months, after the tune it just kept getting better and better as the engine relearned over the next 300 miles or so. I'm now planning on doing this mod to our two new trucks too. So 9 months, no problems to report. I know it's not a 5 year reliability statement, but it held up well for me.

FYI traded in a near one year old truck and got 98K, it had stickered for 113k (but actually i paid 110 for that one) so didn't even lose 10%! That's impressive for Any vehicle, let some a luxury SUV.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts