RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Was driving my '93 RRC and had to hard brake and swerve to miss a tire. Engine immediately died and left me stranded. I checked the relay ground, voltage to relay, wiring back to ECU pin 16 and inertia switch, all seem fine. Question, what could have come loose that would keep the ECU from grounding pin 16 for "fuel request"? I heard mention of the crank position sensor and also resistor from coil to ECU. Anything else I might want to check? The diagnostic screen shows 02 so I don't think I have any obvious codes. Ideas?

·
Registered
524 Posts
You can trying with a pump relay and system bypass.

Go to the fuse box and make, with a short piece of wire, a jumper to connect the supply side of cigarette lighter fuse to the supply side of the fuel pump circuit. It's still fused for you but will now come on and stay on with the ignition circuit live, supplied by the cig lighter circuit.

This'll go past all the protocols and just switch the pump line to live, facilitating a check to see if it'll now run.

If it does you'll then have to diagnose the real problem but at least it'll tell you which part of the system it's in.

In addition, you can get someone else to turn the ignition to live while you put a screwdriver onto the fuel tank filler neck, put your ear on the handle and you'll hear if the pump runs on command.

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover Classic
1,413 Posts
Was driving my '93 RRC and had to hard brake and swerve to miss a tire. Engine immediately died and left me stranded. I checked the relay ground, voltage to relay, wiring back to ECU pin 16 and inertia switch, all seem fine. Question, what could have come loose that would keep the ECU from grounding pin 16 for "fuel request"? I heard mention of the crank position sensor and also resistor from coil to ECU. Anything else I might want to check? The diagnostic screen shows 02 so I don't think I have any obvious codes. Ideas?
93 does not have crank position sensor, technically it is in the distributor, the "resistor" is a white with black stripe wire on the mass airflow sensor. it signals the injector pulse.
I think code 2 means the power to engine control unit has been interrupted, check your fuses and try replacing your efi and fuel relays, they may be 25 yrs old, you don't know if they have been replaced ever before.
follow the diagnostics flow chart on rave.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ok thanks for your help guys I have it running again. I bought the truck last year as a knock around weekend vehicle so i'm just now finding some very poor quality electrical repairs. First thing i found was the coil was wired completely backwards. Resistor to ECU, RF suppressor, and ignition amp + were coming off the - coil post. How was it even running for the last year? Also replaced fuel pump and cleaned relays. Cleaned all the vehicle grounds and cleaned every connector I could find. Chipmunks had chewed some of the wire jackets on top of the fuel tank so I fixed that also. Got my drivers seat moving again so thats a plus also.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts