RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2002-2005 Range Rover MkIII / L322
274 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How long should it stay on and running after ignition has been off? I noticed today that after I came back from a half-hour ride and parked the car, it was running good 10-15 minutes after the car has been shut off. It's nearly freezing temps out, so there shouldn't be any excessive heat from outside, and engine isn't running hotter than usual with no issues with cooling system that I'm aware of. I know on 540s blower motor resistor would sometimes refuse to go to sleep and cause the battery drain, but I haven't seen this particular issue before. Is this a common failure part?

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
2004 HSE, and for some reason I can’t add it to my profile signature.
It looks like the fan turned off after about 15 minutes, which seems excessively long, especially with weather being this cold, but maybe it’s normal for these trucks?

·
Registered
1,418 Posts
15 minutes is right. Mine had failed at some point, and I had to replace it a few months ago.
If I remember correctly, the bearing went in my original fan, and I got a good replacement on ebay for a good price.
But 15 minutes is what I remember.
There is a thermostat in the e-box for it, but not sure if the colder temps should let shut off the cooling fan otherwise.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks Mark! What are the signs of failure in these, aside from ECUs housed in that box overheating? Mine fan is making this noise like old computer fans used to make, so maybe it's a good idea to replace it preemptively just to be on the safe side.

·
Registered
1,418 Posts
What identified mine was that it wasn't making any sound when I woke up the RR, or after shutting it down.
It's pretty easy to access with RAVE instructions, so I pulled it out I found that the bearings had failed.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks Mark! Is the fan supposed to run at all times with engine on, or is it driven by some temperature-based control? I checked last night after driving back on a highway in sub-zero temps and when I pulled into the garage, the fan was not running. Just trying to figure out if it croaked, or it was cold enough outside where its operation wasn't needed.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts