RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings,
First off I want to say this site is awesome! A shout out to RRphil and Dave the Tech from NOVA, you're the man and I hope you reply to this post. I have a 2006 RR full size 4.2 SC and it cranks but won't start. The fuel pump does not come on when I turn the key to start. I tested the pump and it works. I'm getting codes for Fuel Pump Control circuit high and Fuel Pump secondary circuit high. So I suspected the Fuel Pump Driver Module. I tried two used ones, fuel pump still doesn't come on. The fuel pump relay is being energized so I assume the main relay is ok. When I sprayed in some starting fluid it tried to fire, so I assume it has spark. If it has spark and cranks, I assume it's not the Immobilizer Unit. I tried a new Crankshaft Position Sensor, so I assume it's not that. So that leaves the ECM or the wiring harness.
My question is can I swap the ECM without some kind of reprogramming or adaptation? Will it work or do I have to take it to a Land Rover shop? It is also my understanding that 2006 is different than any other year and that one of the differences is in the ECM. I really like this truck and have already gotten it pretty well sorted and I feel if I could just get this resolved I could get a few good years out it. So please help!
Thanks everybody. Peace!

·
Registered
2006-2009 Range Rover MkIII / L322
1,151 Posts
ECM is VIN locked to the original truck, you can't just swap one for another, and I don't know if you (or even the dealer) can write over the VIN of another truck with software like IDS/SDD. You may need a completely new, never programmed ECM. I'm going to assume you checked for voltage from the fuel pump relay to the fuel pump. The 25A fuse is on the output side of the relay contacts and is in the rear fuse panel. The owners manual fuse designations do not match the actual configuration of the fuses in that back panel, look at the label on the fuse panel cover, that label and the wiring diagram agree that the fuse is #6. The owners manual says its fuse 15.

·
Registered
2,462 Posts
I'd check the fuel filter as it probably needs to be done anyway... Mine died no start last year, no noise at the pump, no pressure at the fuel rail... Before pulling the pump to test replaced the filter, which upon removing puked out a bunch of garbage. New filter fit rover back to normal.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Checked fuel pump relay, voltage to power control module, and even used the hot wire to fuel pump power module to run fuel pump directly and verified that it pumped gas to injector rail. My meter can measure frequency and tried to see if output from computer would deliver a frequency reading since it is controlled by pulse width modulation according to the manual. Could not get a real frequency reading or a stable ac voltage reading but my meter may not respond fast enough since the engine won't actually run. BTW, responding for my friend. Have not checked wire continuity but have not been able to get good diagram of wiring layout and pin assignments.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts