RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
All:

Going to set forth all the preventative maintenance preformed thus far and things planned for the near future in connection with my 1998 Oxford Blue Range Rover P38 with 43,000 miles. Please feel free to posit any constructive criticism and any other sage advice that will assist me keeping her in optimal mechanical condition.

Completed Maintenance:
1. Changed oil an filter with Castrol GTX 10w40 and a Mobile 1 Filter. I drained and replaced oil then pulled, primed and replaced the filter.
2. Changed both front and rear differential fluid with Valvoline 80W90.
3. Pulled oil sump and re-sealed to address sump leaks. I checked today and I still have a very very small amount of oil weepage from rear of the sump-not even enough to drip yet. I will try to pull rear screw, Loctite it and replace to see if that stops the slight leak.

Upcoming Tasks:
1. Already purchased the transmission fluid kit from AB to do the Transmission service. Prob this weekend.
2. Coolant change with Havoline xtr red. Pretty sure that is what is in there now.
3. New Boge shocks all around. All four shocks are shot.
4. Four new Dunlop Airbags with new mounting hardware. Passenger side front is completely shot. They are the originals so this was expected when I purchased her.
5. PCV refresh kit purchased from AB.
6. Purchased all new rubber mats including cargo mat.

That's what I have in mind so far. I'm a 3 series BMW enthusiast, so this is quite a change. I must admit I have become quite fond of this rig already. It's just right.

Echo46z
Roar Lion Roar

·
Registered
78 Posts
wow go you. Welcome to the P38 world. Good to see you keeping her on air.

Check your powersteering fluid colour and level.
check your brake pads and handbrake
check your tire pressures :)
grease your nipples :)
Do you have the eka code for your keys ? if not take reg document to your dealer and get it and your cars official history and the radio code whilst you there. they dont charge in the uk not sure about us.

just my two pennies worth

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes yes, good stuff., thank you. Will check power steering brakes and will do a brake fluid flush. What is the eka code for key? Only have one **** key. Will have to invest in another at some point.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Yep... they will get under your skin. Bought mine as winter beeter (hooptie) to save using my other love (audi A8) during the cold frigid months. Fell in love after the first week, the joy you get from bringing them back to life is priceless. Have spent more than twice the purchase price on fixing her up so no chance of selling it now, told the wife she will have to bury me in it.....she didnt find that funny......lol LOVE MY RANGE ROVER

·
Banned
3,952 Posts
The amount of time I've spent under mine over the last couple of weeks, my missus thinks I HAVE been buried in it! They just don't understand it though. She can't understand why her car might get a litre of oil every few months and the washer bottle filled when the washers stop working compared with mine that gets every little thing looked at when it seems perfectly OK to her. Telling her that it isn't quite perfect to me and that hers is a 19 year old, 1.4 litre, neglected pile of GM poo doesn't seem to work.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So so true. My wife thinks I'm out of my mind. And to be honest, initially we bought this also as a hooptie to drive the boys to their endless baseball practices and games. We wanted to save her brand new Range Rover sport and my beloved BMW ZCP Interlagos Blue M3. However, after only a few weeks I have come to love driving this beast. Love the look, height, comfort, ride, and history. Oh, although I do have some serious trepidation with respect to mechanical issues, I am really enjoying working underneath her.

·
Premium Member
788 Posts
Where did you find the Boge shocks? I am looking for them now. There are a bunch on ebay for Discos and Classics but the only P38 Boges I see are for sale by P38Spares.com and Island4x4, both of which are in the UK

·
Registered
343 Posts
Where did you find the Boge shocks? I am looking for them now. There are a bunch on ebay for Discos and Classics but the only P38 Boges I see are for sale by P38Spares.com and Island4x4, both of which are in the UK
Try Rock Auto. Pretty sure they have Boge.

·
Premium Member
788 Posts
Try Rock Auto. Pretty sure they have Boge.
Thanks, Rock Auto didn't come up in my searches.

They do carry Boge but they charge for shipment from the UK :(

·
SUPER MODERATOR
27,755 Posts
ROck auto definately carries Boge. They are $40 per corner. I think they have an RRnet discount as well. Pop them a message below as see what they come up with.

·
Premium Member
788 Posts
ROck auto definately carries Boge. They are $40 per corner. I think they have an RRnet discount as well. Pop them a message below as see what they come up with.
Will do now, thanks! It's Rock Auto's mandatory FedEx 1-2 day Express shipping cost from the UK at a staggering price of $75.00 that bothers me; there is nothing wrong with slow-boating them over here.

·
Premium Member
788 Posts
Has anyone with a NAS P38 purchased and installed Boges from Rock Auto? They are telling me that their Boges are for UK spec P38s and, as such, they may not fit.
???

·
SUPER MODERATOR
27,755 Posts
Considering every other brand of shocks fit all P38s I see no reason why they would not fit. Is there some dark secret to UK P38s that has been kept quiet all these years?

·
SUPER MODERATOR
27,755 Posts
SO in comparing Rimmer Bros part numbers to a few sites over here all the part numbers have the same base... which tells me they are the same shocks on both sites of the pond. I am not saying it is not possible for there to be a difference, but it makes no sense for a basic part to be different. If it were a trim item or market specific I would certainly agree. Not something basic like shocks.

I would encourage them to explain the difference between markets and see what they come up with.

·
Premium Member
788 Posts
Exactly, things like shocks shoud be universal between markets, unless P38s were required to ride at different heights in different markets, which is something I've never heard of.

Island 4x4 just guaranteed that their Boges fit NAS P38s, and they're the most reasonably priced out there. Hopefully this helps someone else too.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Next up is a full detail, here's the game plan:

The paint is in ok to good condition but could certainly stand a correction. Accordingly, I will be doing a paint correct to deal with the the light scratches and slight swirls.

Wash/Dry
Clay
Meg 105 polish with the Porter Cable 7424XP Dual Action Polisher and orange Lake Country pad or cyan hydro tech pad
Meg 205 polish with PC and white Lake Country pad or tangerine hydro tech pad
Klasse High Gloss Sealant
Dodo Juice wax

By the way, I purchased my Boge Shocks from Atlantic British. They fit perfect.

·
JACK'S GRANDAD
9,235 Posts
Jesus, I'm tired by just reading that list of cleaning supplies..... Ours are lucky if they get waxed once a year, and washed every couple of weeks. Want a trip to Mo to show us how it's done? We only have 3 Range Rovers, so should only take you a day or three.......

Martin

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Three RRS would be easily a solid 7 to 8 days for me. I get lost in the polish stages looking for paint perfection that I can never reach. I did get close on my M3 and that took me three days and a lot of different pads.
I'd love to visit you in Mo and work on your fleet. However, I would require a P38 engine primer, good beer and barbecue.

1 - 20 of 63 Posts