RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
All
After replacing the shocks and air springs on Sunday, I took the RR out for a drive and everything was fine. I shut it off and restarted an hour later and the red battery light and check engine light were illuminated. Got home and tested the battery after sitting for a few minutes and got a 12.4 reading. Battery on the way out. Ordered new battery and waited till delivery.

I just installed the new battery in the RR and the Battery light and check engine light did not extinguish. So I did the following measurements before I ran out of light:

1. Engine off, voltage at battery: 12.7-- it is a new battery so I expected that.

2. Voltage across battery at idle with no load: 14.14
3. Voltage across battery at 2000 rpms no load: 14.14
4. Voltage across battery at 2000 RPMs everything on lights, heater etc: 13.98
5. Voltage at altenator with everything on at 2000 rpms: 14.19

Could not do the rest as it is now pitch black. What do you experts think? Bad altenator? Do I need a diagnostic tool to reset the check engine light and battery light or would it have gone out after I inserted new battery and everything else is fine? Thanks in advance. She is starting to drive me a bit crazy.

·
Premium Member
249 Posts
Those values so far with the new battery are looking OK. I don't want to say things are fine until I see the rest of the measurements. Post an update to this post with the rest of the measurements when you get some light again.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Could I have knocked something loose when I replaced the air springs that would cause the battery lit and check engine light to illuminate? Also, having trouble resetting the sunroof. Reset the fob, radio and windows but can't get the sunroof, is there a trick?

·
Premium Member
249 Posts
May have just knocked a ground possibly. To set the sunroof...... Fully open (slide) and then close, then tilt it open and close, this message should then say 'Sunroof Set'.

Or more specifically:

Start with sunroof in close position

Fully open and hold for 5 seconds

Fully close and hold for 5 seconds

Open to tilt position and hold for 5 seconds

Return to closed from tilt and hold for 5 seconds

Should get "sunroof set" message.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I will go out and try again to reset the sunroof, thanks. I did disassemble the air box and intake up to the throttle body. Could I have dislodged something there? Frustrated because the RR seems to be running just fine.

·
Premium Member
1,339 Posts
All
After replacing the shocks and air springs on Sunday, I took the RR out for a drive and everything was fine. I shut it off and restarted an hour later and the red battery light and check engine light were illuminated. Got home and tested the battery after sitting for a few minutes and got a 12.4 reading. Battery on the way out. Ordered new battery and waited till delivery.
The red battery icon on the dash is not a 'battery light' as such, but a 'charge warning indicator', which will come one when the alternator is not producing a higher voltage than the battery (and hence not charging). So replacing the battery should not have been your first step, 12.4V isn't too bad either, especially if the battery isn't being charged.
The measurements you posted with engine running do indicate the alternator is in fact charging, which seems strange. There aren't any wires close to the airsprings, excepts for the earth strap to the front right shock tower. Check (and clean) that, and go over the other wires to the alternator just to be sure. If there is a high resistance because of a bad connection, charging voltage could drop as current drain increases.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you, I will check that ground and all connections from alt to battery. I'm trying to download the Electrical Trouble Shooting Rave Manual to learn where all the ground points are but I'm having some issues. Isn't there a ground at the cylinder head behind the air box area. Would the charging issue also trip the CEL . I am in the process of obtaining a diagnostic scanner.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts