RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2010-2012 Range Rover Sport
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I took my RRS to an independent shop for an inspection and they failed the inspection because the ebrake disengaged when they put their foot on the gas pedal. Is this normal behavior? The dealership said it was and passed the inspection.

·
SUPER MODERATOR
27,719 Posts
What does your owners manual say? Some Range Rovers had this and some didn't. As we have no clue what year your rig is there's no way we can answer correctly.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
What does your owners manual say? Some Range Rovers had this and some didn't. As we have no clue what year your rig is there's no way we can answer correctly.
If you click on "garage" under my profile you can see my rig info. Sure I'll look in the manual too. I was hoping someone could confirm if their vehicle also auto disengages the ebrake when pressing the gas.

·
SUPER MODERATOR
27,719 Posts
Please add your rig info to your SIGNATURE as outlined in the guidelines. That way it shows in every post and folks can provide accurate answers without needing to ask. I can guarantee very few members go to your "garage" or profile when answering questions.

To answer your immediate question some model years do disengage the EPB when accelerating. It is no different than the many sedans since the late 50's that release the parking brake when taken out of park or neutral. The fastest way to check will to reference your owner's manual or TOPIx on the LRNA site.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Please add your rig info to your SIGNATURE as outlined in the guidelines. That way it shows in every post and folks can provide accurate answers without needing to ask. I can guarantee very few members go to your "garage" or profile when answering questions.

To answer your immediate question some model years do disengage the EPB when accelerating. It is no different than the many sedans since the late 50's that release the parking brake when taken out of park or neutral. The fastest way to check will to reference your owner's manual or TOPIx on the LRNA site.
Ok thanks.

·
SUPER MODERATOR
2006-2009 Range Rover Sport
4,456 Posts
The E-brake IS designed to release automatically once you start accelerating, it's been this way since 2006...it's a designed release, so definitely NOT a defect.

·
SUPER MODERATOR
27,719 Posts
Thanks for the clearification PJ. I was thinking it was called "hill hold" or some such thing for the newer models. I know a few guys in the club swear by it for the steep hills or when towing. However I thought there was a difference when engaging in gear vs engaging once in park. Certainly better than two footed driving an auto.

You can tell I steer clear of Sports except when they come into the shop for service because they make me claustrophobic and really don;t interest me like the full sized ones I have always owned.

·
Registered
2006-2009 Range Rover Sport
621 Posts
The E-brake IS designed to release automatically once you start accelerating, it's been this way since 2006...it's a designed release, so definitely NOT a defect.
Yes spot on - this basic function is different to the later hill hold function - something different again.

But if you want the electronic brake to not squeal in later life always manually release the park brake as the auto function requires you do drive through the locked brake so there is always going to be a little wear. No wear with manual release.

·
SUPER MODERATOR
27,719 Posts
It also gives the EPB a bit of exercise so it doesn't lock up and require replacement of the full servo etc. from lack of use.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts