RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
1,420 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Aloha,
I have been searching for the last week for someone who can sell me rotors that are not Chinese knock offs.
Frustrating experience!
I am about to buy some Brit made EBC rotors and pads for the Borrrego, and came across an interesting question.
The place I am looking (TH Motorsports) lists brake parts as for:
Position: Front
w/ 4 Engine VIN
or:
Position: Front
w/ 6 Engine VIN

Same thing for rears.

The same kit with slightly different part numbers is a bit more $$ for the 6 Vin........

I was under the impression that the brakes were the same from 95-02?
Anycl ue as to what they are concerned with the engine vin for? I assume this is either a Bosh / Gems thing, or a 4.0 / 4.6 thing........
Looking forward to learning something new!
Cheers

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks!
A bit more digging on their site, and it seems that the "6" vin brakes are for Disco........Wonder what the diff is?
Hmmmmmm
Parts ordered.
Cheers.

·
SUPER MODERATOR
27,773 Posts
There isn't a difference when talking about parts interchangeability. You can take any caliper, pad or rotor off a DiscoII and put them on any petrol P38.

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
Do you really think you are buying rotors not made in China? I don't think there are any foundries in the US still doing grey cast iron, I don't know about the UK. I imagine there are different quality levels in rotors but its probably more about the machining than the raw casting. A rotor is a pretty darn simple things to cast. It would be interesting to know if any companies that purchase and re-brand rotors go to the effort to verify the Chinese foundry is meeting the material specifications for grey cast iron as defined in SAE J431.

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
For what it is worth.
Here is a link to a quick read from the EBC site.
https://ebcbrakes.com/about-ebc/

Still cast from Grey Iron in the UK or US.

I will update the thread when they arrive to confirm, however, I have assurance from shipper that they are UK castings...........

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
Well EBC says they cast most of them in the UK but import some. If they are machined in the UK but cast in China or Korea, I don't think the box has to state China as the country of origin. Again, I don't see it as a real issue, as long as the company does a good job of setting up the far east source, casting a rotor shouldn't be hard to meet a desired quality standard.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts