RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Quick suspension question. This refers to a 2008 Range Rover HSE full size.

I had an issue where my suspension went out at 118K miles last year. A Land Rover specialty shop replaced both front struts. They said the back ones looked fine. They said that the compressor was working fine.

After the fix, the suspension was fixed. However, if the car sits for even two days sometimes, it is listing on one side or to the front, etc. Seemingly random, but it definitely lets the air out of the suspension. Also, for the first time, I would occasionally get the "Vehicle lifting slowly" error, although it would still lift.

When I asked the shop that did the work, they said that this means my compressor is just slowly dying.

Is this true? It makes sense, but does that mean that the compressor works when the vehicle is off? Otherwise, why would I lose air out of the struts (if they are not leaking) when the vehicle is off? Thanks!

·
Registered
638 Posts
Quick suspension question. This refers to a 2008 Range Rover HSE full size.

I had an issue where my suspension went out at 118K miles last year. A Land Rover specialty shop replaced both front struts. They said the back ones looked fine. They said that the compressor was working fine.

After the fix, the suspension was fixed. However, if the car sits for even two days sometimes, it is listing on one side or to the front, etc. Seemingly random, but it definitely lets the air out of the suspension. Also, for the first time, I would occasionally get the "Vehicle lifting slowly" error, although it would still lift.

When I asked the shop that did the work, they said that this means my compressor is just slowly dying.

Is this true? It makes sense, but does that mean that the compressor works when the vehicle is off? Otherwise, why would I lose air out of the struts (if they are not leaking) when the vehicle is off? Thanks!
Compressor dying and an actual leak that continues even when the car is off are two distinct, separate potential issues. Compressor won't run when the vehicle is off, no. But think not just about the new struts - that's only one end of the air hose. The air hose itself could have a leak. Those are NOT automatically replaced with your struts. Think about what the other end connects to. A valve block. O-rings can leak there, too.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks. Yea I'm just trying to figure out how to handle because when I informed the shop shortly after the job about the suspension dropping (after they replaced the front struts), they acted like a compressor overheating can cause the suspension to drop overnight. But that doesn't seem possible since it should lock the air in when I turn the vehicle off.

·
Registered
2006-2009 Range Rover MkIII / L322
1,193 Posts
When the vehicle is parked, the air suspension control module 'wakes up' two hours after the ignition was last switched off and then once every six hours. The vehicle height is checked and if the vehicle is not level within a pre-set tolerance, small downwards height adjustments may be made automatically. So if you have a leak in one corner the truck can and will be lowered periodically until it is level again and then repeat this every 6 hours until it remains level, which is usually on the bump stops if its left long enough.

·
Registered
2002-2005 Range Rover MkIII / L322
1,952 Posts
when the struts are replaced,
I suggest to use Dow Corning 111 on the line O rings,
this will help seals stay soft for a long time

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
When the vehicle is parked, the air suspension control module 'wakes up' two hours after the ignition was last switched off and then once every six hours. The vehicle height is checked and if the vehicle is not level within a pre-set tolerance, small downwards height adjustments may be made automatically. So if you have a leak in one corner the truck can and will be lowered periodically until it is level again and then repeat this every 6 hours until it remains level, which is usually on the bump stops if its left long enough.
I think that's similar to what the shop was explaining. Makes sense. Thanks Mark.

·
Registered
2006-2009 Range Rover MkIII / L322
1,193 Posts
It would have to be a leak between the front or rear block valves and the struts. Everything else is isolated when the truck is off. The compressor output, the feeds to the front and rear block valves and the reservoir tank by the valves in the compressor block valve assembly. Those lines could all go to 0 psig and if the front and rear block valves don't leak it wouldn't matter. Thats why the truck doesn't raise the low corner back up to match the other three instead lowering the 3 higher ones to match the lowest one. the ECU will open the compressor vent valve, and the valves to the front and rear blocks and whichever cross valve need to be opened to lower the truck. The valve to the reservoir tank never opens and of course the compressor is never run with the truck not running.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts