Range Rovers Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Want to run a wire from the driver side rear where the radio brain/Nav CD module is housed to the front where the cig lighter is by the gear shifter.

I'm sure somebody has experience so I don't go breaking panels, etc :)

Thanks again in advance!

G

·
Why? It may be that a wire is already in place to do what you want / need to do.

If you just want a wire to go from back to front, you need to start pulling panels (or at the least start threading) under your carpet.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Hi Dell,

You can feed the wire from the rear over the wheel arch and into the rear seat area. The triangular leather panel at the side of the rear seat is easy to remove (just tug) as are the threshold strips along the bottom of the doors. It is then easy to thread the wire along the revealed channel. Once in the front footwell, it is easy to push the wire between the carpet and panels. You can then take a short cut from the middle door pillar, under the seat and feed it up into the centre console - but this may get trapped in the seat mechanism, so not recommended.

Good luck!

·
Registered
106 Posts
garioch43 said:
Hi Dell,

You can feed the wire from the rear over the wheel arch and into the rear seat area. The triangular leather panel at the side of the rear seat is easy to remove (just tug) as are the threshold strips along the bottom of the doors. It is then easy to thread the wire along the revealed channel. Once in the front footwell, it is easy to push the wire between the carpet and panels. You can then take a short cut from the middle door pillar, under the seat and feed it up into the centre console - but this may get trapped in the seat mechanism, so not recommended.

Good luck!

that's pretty much what i did, but i was able to get the wires under the seat rails in the middle where there was a carpet seam. everywhere else i was able to pry the panels back and push the wires under. not too difficult.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Once again, a BIG THANKS!!!! That is exactly what I needed. I'll start the process and report back.

**MrRangeRover...my apologies I wasn't clear in my initial post that I have an ipod line I am running from the back to the front.**

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Done! Thanks so much for all the help.

I fed the wire through the wheel well and then behind the leather corner section to the side of the seat. Then ran it under the trim pieces where the door jam and carpet meet. Then loosened up the bolts on the rear of the seat with it moved all the way forward. Ran it to the midpoint of the seat rails where there is a vertical break in the carpet that meets under the seat. Allowed me to run it under the rails next to another loom of wires and then out by the mid point of the center console. Then removed the rear trim piece of the center console on the back side which gave me access to an opening into the storage compartment. Voila! Done in less than 1 hour taking my time.

·
Registered
209 Posts
I did pretty much the same thing, to fit a DICE IPOD adaptor. Basically (and carefully, patiently), 'hide' the wire under existing trim. I have the DICE adaptor, attached to an IPOD, sitting 'loose' to the right side of teh driver seat. Reason - So that my daughter can choose which songs to play - the DICE wire is long enough that she can just grab the attached Ipod and play around with it. Tuck it back between front seat and center consul when she's done. I'm a big fan of teh DICE unit - All steering wheel controls still work, and song details also scroll across teh Nav screen. 10 minutes of self-installation. Good instructions, cost was around $140, 9 months ago. Good Luck, Simon.

·
Registered
2002-2005 Range Rover MkIII / L322
186 Posts
What brand/model Ipod adapter are you using?
Does your CD changer still works?

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I am using the XRaudio Kit from Urban Rovers. http://www.urbanrovers.com/store/range-rover-ipod-iphone-audio-connection-p-1.html

I run a cable from the XRaudio to an XM Skydock so I can toggle between the CD changer and my Skydock which allows me to use my iPhone as a sat receiver as well as an ipod. :thumb:

Yes, your CD changer still works. There is a toggle switch that you can toggle between ipod and CD changer.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts