RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
922 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
the accompanying thread re recommendations for Scanners etc got me " excited" :oops: as in "frustrated -excited" :evil: rather than happy-excited :D :D rather than hijacking the previous thread...please read on:

Am a big fan of my FaultmateSV... it has enabled me to clear an EAS fault late at night 400km past "the back of beyond" due to my laziness in not addressing a faulty line connector earlier in the day :oops: .., reset errant BECM/EMS codes, diagnose HEVAC issues ansd save A$00's etc etc

That being said, I agree with AllyV8 about fixing the bloody thing ...

one seeks a robust-easily-connected-simple-to-read-information-giving-reliable-tool -to-enable-a -straight-forward-possible-fix-and-be-on-my-way capability. :shock:

BBS ...we love you BUT please listen: most would gladly sacrifice some of the more esoteric- bells and whistles in favour of a simpler easier-to-use tool which NEVER tells me that the ECU is not programmed for this device etc etc etc... :evil: Frankly, the standard of accompanying documentation is a real let down for such a clever product.

I readily admit that I am still fumbling when it comes to using FM for resetting the EAS to factory recommended specs after replacing a couple of sensors... I would welcome a simple flow chart on the CORRECT SEQUENCE OF EVENTS TO BE FOLLOWED when undertaking such a process... I seem to muddle through but rarely am I able to record the process... I have read EVERY post (I think), but they all leave out what they think are probably insignificant or self-evident truths... but it's all important... and none of them are consistent. How many ways are there to do what should be a straight forward job?

from what I can determine, the special calibration blocks enable the test book to measure and record two sets of data points based on the voltage readings for each sensor at each height setting measured as the displacement between the bump stop stump and the axle plate.

From this data the TB apparently uses an algorithm to calculate the bit settings for the factory recommended height settings and writes these into the EAS ECU. Job Done :clap:

question: if one understands the relationship between the voltages and bit settings, what prevents the development of an algorithm for use in a spreadsheet which could then be used to significantly shorten the laborious suck-it-and-see process at present...

even if I could get a reliable set of numbers I have a great mate who is a professional mathematician /electrical engineer willing to see if he can reverse engineer the algorithm or develop one which will do the job...

would welcome comments...

·
Registered
520 Posts
Hiya Hoges,

Fair comment and nicely put chap. :thumb:
We love you too :oops:

In our defense, i will but say that It is really hard to balance providing the maximum possible capability and flexibility, with ease of use and simplified instructions.

In recent times we have started to put together some instructional videos, perhaps more complex tasks such as the EAS height calibration could be covered also.

Either way i appreciate the feedback :dance:

1 - 2 of 2 Posts