RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All

I am having trouble locating a problem with my EAS system. Only had the car for three months or so, shortly after buying it, I had a rear bag burst so I replaced the two rears, all OK for a month then I noticed it was taking longer and longer to get to the selected ride height, eventually it wouldn’t rise at all and the pump was running continuously. A bad pump seal was suggested, so stripped the pump and the seal had melted and the barrel was wrecked, replaced both, pump still running continually, it lasted a day and the piston rod in the pump snapped. Bought a reconditioned pump, now reaching all the height settings but the pump still running all the time, fitted air line adapters and pumped up all four bags, not dropping in 48 hours, bought a block seal and diaphragm kit, everything looked in good shape but fitted anyway, pump still running but ride height reached faster, checked all connections for leaks including the dryer, with the silencer removed, after switching off the engine, you get a spurt of air then it continues to vent air slowly for 3 minutes or more, the ride height stays constant. Should this happen? I have a set of front bags to fit but when manually filled they stay up fine, there are no leaks I can detect around the air tank, the pump runs continuously then you get a blast of air vented, it goes off for 3 seconds or so and starts up again. Any help greatly appreciated. Interestingly, I have never had a soft or hard fault.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
JeremyD said:
Have you checked or replaced the pressure switch on the valve block?
Hi, yes just have, its staying open on a meter all the time, which I guess may be because its not getting to the required psi or its knackerd, just trying the height settings again, if you cycle through the different heights, once its dropped right down it takes longer than it should to go back up again unless you open a door, wait a bit for the tank to fill and then it goes up instantly so I guess im looking at a leak between the compresor and the reciever, I can preasurise the reciever manualy, 8bar aparently? Other than that whats inside the block should I check, I may have fitted somthing wrong when I overhauled it.

·
Registered
553 Posts
Im not as clued up as Shupack shoot him a message,

Is the compressor turning on and off by itself or is it continuously running once you have reached the selecte height?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
JeremyD said:
Im not as clued up as Shupack shoot him a message,

Is the compressor turning on and off by itself or is it continuously running once you have reached the selecte height?
No, keeps running, after a bit theres a whoosh of air from the exhaust, it stops for 3 seconds then starts again on the same cycle, the air purge is very apparent with the silencer removed.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
JeremyD said:
At that rate you will end up damaging the replacement compressor in no time.

When the copressor runs is there a constant flow of air coming out of the exhaust?

Read through this it might help as well

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=7528
No, no air from the exhaust with the pump running, only with the ignition off then there is the initial purg then a slow stream for a few minutes, just fitted the front air bags, no improvment but the old ones were in a hell of a state, just removed the valve block to go through it again. Definitley looing preasure between the compressor and the reciever/tank.

·
FOUNDING MEMBER
4,509 Posts
sounds like a problem with the non-return valves. the one closest to the collets seals air in the reservoir, if it's not seating correctly you'll get these exact indications. swap it out with one of the others, they're not as critical to have a perfect seal.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
shupack said:
sounds like a problem with the non-return valves. the one closest to the collets seals air in the reservoir, if it's not seating correctly you'll get these exact indications. swap it out with one of the others, they're not as critical to have a perfect seal.
Will do, I have got the block apart as we speak, everything looks ok, the new seals on the non return valves are seated correctly, will try swapping them around before I put it back together. I spoke to the chap I bought the recon compressor and the seal kit from and he was insistant that the problem was the ride height sensors although once there is air in the system the car goes up and down and keeps itself level? An expensive thing to change! I am convinced that the tank is not getting up to pressure so the pump keeps running. I know the air bags stay up (even the old front ones I changed last night) and everything works once the tank has air in it, to my mind if once the tank has air, and the ride height changes fine until you take the car to the top setting and then straight down to the lowest setting and most of the air is out of the bags, the fact that it takes ages just to go up to the motorway setting unless you open the door and let the tank fill first, there is not enough preasure in the tank so there is a leak somwere. The chap mentioned above also told me to use one of my airline adapters on pipe 6 and put 8 bar in it and leave it overnight to test for a preasur drop, does this make sense?

·
FOUNDING MEMBER
4,509 Posts
Yes, that's how you test the tank circuit for leakage...

Also swap the valve plunger on the inlet and exhaust valves, (1st and 2nd from the front on top) this gives a fresh sealing surface for the tank isolation.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
shupack said:
Yes, that's how you test the tank circuit for leakage...

Also swap the valve plunger on the inlet and exhaust valves, (1st and 2nd from the front on top) this gives a fresh sealing surface for the tank isolation.
Ok, wil do tonight, thanks for all the advice.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts