RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
EAS Unlock sync issues with AMR3234 control unit, what's *your* brand of USB adapter?

OK... this is driving me batty. I have 1995 LWB and have been going through the air suspension to get it near factory new.

I keep running into issues with the getting the EAS Unlock tool to sync with the newer air suspension controller, AMR3234. I plug in an older AMR2289 with the EAS Unlock tool and it syncs up just fine. I can read out all the data and sensors, plus calibrate the height. I used that module to determine the height sensors for access, low, normal and high profiles... as well as found a bad wheel sensor. But for some reason, that AMR2289 module has an issue and the compressor relay clicks about ever 2-3 seconds when the engine is running, the lights don't flash on the push-button controls at startup and it won't respond to the controls.

That OKs.. I have 3 more control units :)... but they are all on AMR3234 and the for what ever reason, the EAS Unlock tools won's sync with those units.

Two of the EAS units are hard faulted but one works fine, although the calibration is a bit off on right rear wheel. So the good news is that I can drive the rover with a fully functional EAS... allowing for the right wheel is about 3/4" higher than it should be.

I'm trying if determine the magic combination of PC, cables and luck to get them working... but have been stymied all week-end.

I have two old Thinkpad T30s with XP and 9-pin com port on the back so they both work fine with AMR2290. However, neither will work with AMR3234. I tried a another Acer laptop with a USB->Serial convert and got the same behavior on AMR3234 as with the T30.

I checked measured the T30 and Acer with USB converter can they both seem to +/- 5 volt signal level. I notice that some of the other posts mentioned that they could not get the USB converter that put out 5V to work... but the once that did 11-12 volts were working. So I went off to Newegg & Amazon and could not find any description that showed the line driver voltage for any of the converters.

Could anyone with that has a USB converter working with a later 1994 or 1995 year classic please share the brand and model? Pretty Please? :)

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
EAS Unlock users - what brand model of USB Serial Adapter works?

All--

Posted in the Diagnositic forum but no responses, thought I'd try here. :)

After reading lost of pages on EAS Unlock experiences, I've had no joy with later EAS control units. I'm using a generic Prolific PL2023 with a recent Prolific driver on XP SP3.

Can folks post a one-liner on the brand and model that actually with our land rovers?

I'll do a summary note of the results to save others time in the future.

D

·
0 Posts
Re: EAS Unlock users - what brand model of USB Serial Adapter works?

It does not (or should not) really matter what brand/model of (generic) PL2023 you use.... as long as it is working OK on your PC ......

That said from your other thread you seem to think some RS232/USB adaptors work and others don't ? :-

http://www.rangerovers.net/forum/12-diagnostic-equipment/39476-eas-unlock-sync-issues-amr3234-control-unit-whats-your-brand-usb-adapter.html

Not sure what you are referring to about your 5V/12V issues but the RS232 interface just needs Tx, Rx, RTS and Ground to communicate effectively with an EAS ECU.

Not sure about AMR3234 / AMR2289 differences either ...but I bet RSW Solutions do !!

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

Drat. I meant to post in the Classic forum... and thanks for the reply. :)

Normally, you would be correct: RX, TX and GND is all you need on RS-232 cable. However, this the Land Rover Zonel... and Storey's scehmatics call out pin7 on the DB-9 for RTS.

Yes, if you looks back on some of the threads regarding EAS Unlock (the original 15 pager) their are comments like

1. "tried another USB serial adapter and it just worked"
2. "replaced it with a converter that put out 11.2Volts and it worked, where the 5V converter didn't"
3. comments on PL2023 and the right drivers
4. Apparently the RTS line is key to getting the ECU's attention and you may need to enable "Set RTS On Close".

However, as for #4... the prolific driver 1.4.7 I downloaded for XP dosen't seem to have that option.

Since my cable works fine with the older AMR2289 AES ECU but not the newer one, I'm thinking maybe the AMR 3234 is more picky for configuration and possibly voltage.

D

·
0 Posts

No problem... I wondered about those 'P38' part numbers.. but some folks on here 'experiment' more than others... !!

Assuming that the two EAS different modules actually have the same designations on the diagnostics socket etc it could well be voltage level, or even timing etc that is causing the problem.

I know it is driving you crazy but when I had a similar (but non-LR) problem I got much more consistent results with a 10-buck PCMCIA/RS232 adaptor, so that may be worth a try, too !

·
Administrator
27,805 Posts

Duplicate threads merged.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

OK... I have a generic PL2023 $14 special from local store that works with all my astronomy gadgets but not the Rover with the newer EAS AMR3234. I'm using XP SP3 with Prolific 1.4.7 Driver. I have three addition USB to RS232 adapters on the way:

1. Keyspan (Tripp-lite) usa-19hs (IT guys swear by this one, they chuckled at me when I said tried a Prolific)
2. Quatech (B&B Electronics) SS-USB-100, this device specs that all HW signals are supported
3. Sabrent SBT-FTDI (Prolific free)

Now we will see and the Keyspan will show up tomorrow (thrus). Sabrent on Fri, Quatech on Sat.

·
Registered
16 Posts

I use the FTDI chipset usb to serial adapter and have never had a problem with it connecting with many different types of diagnostic and other software inc EAS unlock it is quite dear i paid £15.99 but in my opinion well worth it. I have used it on both Vista & 7 32 bit & 64 bit versions. Although the prolific chipset does seem to work for some and not others i have found it to be very unreliable and hit and miss with what it will work with. If of any use to anyone i purchased from fleebay the sellers name was j.harris85 i have no association with this person just thought the info may help.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1708087839...ht_1272wt_1139

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

OK.. got all 3 adapters, but he rover is back in the shop after blowing a turbo hose on the commute home. I'll post when I get a chance to try them.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

OK... the conclusion to the adventure of the 1995 Classic LWB.

I bought 4 USB-Serial converters, 2Prolific and 2 FTDI. I also picked up a 18 month old Acer Aspire One netbook off of CL for $120 to create a dedicated "rover diag and ref manual" PC. First I wiped the Netbook and installed Win7 32 bit professional, RAVE and then went to the profliic website for the latest Win& drivers and the to Tripp-lite Keyspan site for their drivers and the Sabrent site for their version as well. All drivers were installed and I made sure that each device/driver installed with a different COM port number inside Win8 Device Manager.

Now with the battery on the netbook full charged, I headed out to the LWB with the home-made cable from Storey's website info (with the '3904 transitor in it for better drive strenght on the Classic). First off, just go under the passenger seat (NAS) and pull out the diagnostic connector. You will need to remove the loop back plug to put in the diagnotics cable plug... and when you do that you should hear a relay click under the seat. That relay is the "Air Suspension Delay Relay" that pretty much powers the EAS ECU. Everytime you plug or unplug the loop back plug should hear the click of that relay. If not, something else is wrong and need to fix it before going forward.

Now, it's time to plug in the diagnostic cable and then the USB-serial adapters. When you plug that in, you should hear a series of click of the Air Suspension Delay Relay. This is feature and if you don't get the clicks, you have either a cable issue or wiring issue. If you don't hear the clicks, stop what you are about to do... and go figure our the problem. Don't ask me why I know this. :naughty:

I know we have heard about USB cables that lack the necessary voltage to drive the connection, setting option like "set RTS on exit" in the driver and stuff, plus running EASunlock in XP compatiblity mode. After a couple of hours of messing around with running the EASunlock on 5 different ECUs, running as a normal Win7 app (no XP compatiblity mode, no "run as admin"), both FTDI cables worked perfectly (Keyspan & Sabrent), but I could not get the two Prolific cable to work reaiblity. The prolific cables would kinda sync, but the return stream would becomeA0, 7F, etc... versus the correct reply of FF. I did not spend a lot of time trying the timing/delay function but left them at the 375, 375 and 75 defaults.

I know that somefolks have had good luck with the Prolific based USB-serial cables, but running Win7 32bit native on the Acer netbook with the FTDI based converters worked rock solid. No funny app settings, no customer driver settings... just use all the default settings. The only time I did an issue with FTDI converters when I assigned the port to COM3... and their seemed to be weird echo of the transmit data and seem to mess up the sync with EASunlock. Once I moved it to any other port than COM3... the issue went way, but that could be an Acer or Atom chipset thing.

Anyway, I now have my air suspension running just fine, recaliabrated and with my customized heights. Woo-hoo! :)

·
Administrator
27,805 Posts

As most people running newer systems have figured out the USB adapters can be a headache. A note mentioned in several other threads certainly is worth repeating again here. If you are going to use a dedicated system for your diagnostics go pick up an OLD laptop with the serial port. Old Dell inspirons are easily purchased on eBay and CraigsList for around $50. A simple system with a 750 or 950 processor and a 20GB harddrive is more than enough to store RAVE, run XP and hold Rover related items. Accessories like car adapters are dirt cheap and everything fits in a smaller laptop case. These old owrkhorse laptops also have piles of prot relicators available because nobody wants them. Grab and old flat panel at a swap meet (or free on Craiglist) and you have a perfect small footprint station for your garage when you are making other repairs or doing maintenance and want RAVE handy. Most people here have spent way more on USB adapters and time fighting documented issues than if they used a cheapie laptop that the software was designed for.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

Not neccesarily. :) You got me curious since I now have everything figured out comms with AMR3234, have 2 extra programmed with my height settings and feeling like I conqueured the hill.

So this morning I took my trusty 8ish year old IBM Thinkpad T30 with the DB-9 serial port on COM1, running XP SP3 and tried the diagnstic cable sans the Sabrent USB-serial converter. It refused to sync with the EAS ECU and all I got was the 'PP' responses. I took out the Acer netbook with the Sabrent converter and the same diag cable, it works fine.

Normally, I'm a simpler is better type of guy... but I'm liking the FTDI chip converters right now with Win7 32bit. The Sabrents are availble on-line at NewEgg for about ~$18 including shipping.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts