RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On a way to a funeral the EAS faulted and dropped to the bump stops. My EAS tool wasn't working so thankfully my schraeder valves got me home. After reading the faults I had a FR valve stuck code and air pressure too low. I cleared the faults and with the door opened I started it back up. I have a gauge on my tank, it was low, about 60psi but the compressor was running and pressure was not increasing. I pulled the hose off the top of the drier and using my air compressor I pushed air into the tank, saw it raise, hold, and then the valves did their thing to raise the truck up to ride height. I don't have all my tools to pull the compressor and check it out so I can't rule out the compressor yet. Outside of the compressor piston seal needing replacing, any other part of the block I should look at like the NRV's?

Thanks

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
768 Posts
It does sound like your compressor needs an overhaul, have you rebuilt you valve block ? Might be worth putting a new diaphragm minimum and change the drier.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Chris. I rebuilt the block and refreshed the diaphragm about 2 years ago. I will pull the pump to inspect it but to also push air from my home compressor through the block and into the tank to verify nothing else is buggered. Fortunately I have an OEM diaphragm in the toolkit just in case.

·
Super Moderator
2,077 Posts
Easy to check the diaphragm, when the pump is running, unscrew the exhaust silencer from the valve block and put your finger over the hole it came from. If you can feel and pressure there', the diaphragm is leaking, if not, it's fine. Does sound like a worn pump though.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks. I did confirm the diaphragm is fine and I replaced it about a year ago. I'm finally home and will be pulling the compressor to have a look.

Easy to check the diaphragm, when the pump is running, unscrew the exhaust silencer from the valve block and put your finger over the hole it came from. If you can feel and pressure there', the diaphragm is leaking, if not, it's fine. Does sound like a worn pump though.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I pulled the compressor and it was trashed inside. I don't know if it was heat or something got in via the air chamber but the sleeve was distorted on the inside and has physical grooves and damage which was also visible on the piston itself. I just spent 30 minutes cleaning all the debris and what looks like carbon buildup from every part. Now I need a new sleeve and air filter. Fortunately I was able to smooth things out with some emery cloth on the piston. So strange.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks. I ordered this already. Irony is I did this exact refit about 2 years ago except I didn't replace the air filter. I also wiped everything down with isopropyl alcohol so hopefully I won't have this type of catastrophic failure in the future.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts