RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am going to change to Coil Springs because there are too many areas for failure with the EAS system.

Man I enjoyed the EAS when it worked and when the truck was actually worth something. I look at the value of my truck, its age and the nick name my wife gave it “the junk truck.” It still looks immaculate but recently the front passenger air bag failed so put in a couple of new air bags up front.

Then the air connection on the outside of the EAS box started to leak.
Then the collet on the dryer started to leak.
Then the collet on one of the new front air bags started to leak.
Then the new air bag started to leak.

I fix one thing then something else pops up….

With the car being so old, it just doesn’t seem to make sense trying to fix an EAS system and keep dumping potentially several thousands of dollars into it.

After thinking about it and spending all this time fixing and refixing the EAS system. I decided there are too many failure points of the EAS and just want this old rig to be reliable to drive and not have to worry about riding on bump stops.

Because the truck is no longer worth $70K investing $2-3K to fix the EAS makes no sense and now that the truck is worth only a few thousand dollars the $400 coil conversion kit seems to now make the most sense. Install it and be done with it and just enjoy the drive again.

Anyways, just thinking out loud and I really enjoyed my EAS but now contemplating taking the leap to Coils.

·
FOUNDING MEMBER
4,509 Posts
sounds like you want to be talked out of it :)

Then the air connection on the outside of the EAS box started to leak.
Then the collet on the dryer started to leak.
Then the collet on one of the new front air bags started to leak......
that's only ONE problem: old age. an oring kit, and maybe new springs is all that's needed. 2-3k is outragous, I agree. You can do a complete overaul for $500 or less and keep the EAS.

Fixing one oring leak is like sticking your finger in a crack in the dam, it WILL leak elsewhere. All orings need to be changed at the same time. It may be many points, but you have to look at the root of the problem, orings are rubber, then can only last a certain amount of time (7-10 years), that's ONE failure mode. When one leaks, it's telling you that all of them are about to leak.

·
Legacy Vendor
341 Posts
Well said Dennis... I can't see the point in having a castrated P38A... the EAS is one of it's best points. A fixed height P38A is basically a Disco 2 with more style. :D Might as well sell the P38A, buy a Disco 2 and have more aftermarket options available.

Many of us have "refreshed" the o-rings and valve block and found a dramatic difference to EAS behaviour. Here's one I prepared earlier :D http://paulp38a.com/99p38a/eas-valve-block-renew/ and it was pretty straightforward too.

Cheers, Paul.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts