RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have a soft EAS fault on my 2000 HSK RR. the air pressure is holding steady and the truck has stayed at normal ride height for several days now. i have not driven it since parking it after the fault. i believe the problem is ride height sensors and i have four new ones on the way, as the originals on the truck need a refresh anyway. the pump is a new after market unit. i also have the USB to OBD2 cord coming and the software so i can test, read and erase codes as needed. however, due to shipping the software and cord will not be here for a week or so.

is it safe for me to drive the RR with the EAS fault or will it hard fault on me and drop to the bumpstops?

i have done quite a bit of ready on this forum but since the format change a lot of the links have been lost or just send me in a loop.

Thanks,

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
If it is a soft fault, it should clear whenever you restart. There's two variants of hard fault depending on what caused it in the first place. It will give you the 35 MPH Max message and it will either drop to the bumpstops or pump itself up to high. In both cases it won't clear without software so you can give it a reset.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If it is a soft fault, it should clear whenever you restart. There's two variants of hard fault depending on what caused it in the first place. It will give you the 35 MPH Max message and it will either drop to the bumpstops or pump itself up to high. In both cases it won't clear without software so you can give it a reset.
gotcha.

so, is it safe to drive until i can read the codes, fix the issue and reset the codes?

the truck is holding steady pressure at the tank and sitting at normal or high level.

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
If the fault is there all the time, it will be sitting at high. Do you have all 4 height lights showing too? You can carry on using it but there's no guarantee that it won't decide to drop to the bumpstops at the most inconvenient time.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If the fault is there all the time, it will be sitting at high. Do you have all 4 height lights showing too? You can carry on using it but there's no guarantee that it won't decide to drop to the bumpstops at the most inconvenient time.
i do have all four height lights.

i was worried it might drop to the bump stops on it's own. would this be done by the EAS ECU?

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
It's all under the control of the ECU. I suppose you could disconnect it, pull the fuse (F24) or pull the delay relay from under the LH front seat (the tall black one). that will stop it telling the valve block to open any of the valves.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It's all under the control of the ECU. I suppose you could disconnect it, pull the fuse (F24) or pull the delay relay from under the LH front seat (the tall black one). that will stop it telling the valve block to open any of the valves.
thanks. appreciate all the info.

i'm still learning this truck.

·
Premium Member
1,219 Posts
If the fault remains after restartin, I'd pull the fuse, just to be sure. With the soft fault you wont be able to control the EAS anyway, so you might as well make sure it stays as is and can't decide to drop to the bumpstops should the fault get any worse.

Filip

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
it looks like i have a hard fault but not with the 35 mph warning. i did the jumper test for the pump on relay 20 and the pump only clicked. looks like i burned it up. i then unplugged the EAS ECU and jumped pins 7 and 18 and 1 and 25 to get the truck into Manual EAS mode. all four bags and the air tank are holding air, so i will be driving it and checking pressure until my parts arrive. i do have the means to inflate each corner manually if needed but here's hoping it doesn't come to that.

Thanks to all for their help.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
quick update. new (used) compressor, all four ride height sensors and the EASunlock software and the truck is good to go. haven't needed to recalibrate the new height sensors but will keep an eye on that. i kept the old compressor so i can rebuild it and have a spare.

thanks again to everyone who helped me out with this.

·
Premium Member
1,219 Posts
Good you got it sorted!

Just to add, to disable the EAS, pull fuse 44 (the power to the EAS ECU) and not fuse 24 (feed to the timer relay), as fuse 24 also powers the ABS, and you never know when that will come in handy. ;-)

Filip

·
Premium Member
1,219 Posts
Which fuse does what depends on GEMS or Thor but you are right on one or the other.
You're right, on the Bosch the main fuse for the EAS is 29, not 44. I missed the MY reference in the first post, my bad.
But in both fuse 24 powers the delay timer as well as the ABS, so better to not use that.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts