RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
568 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The EAS has been behaving since the new compressor went in recently, but the last couple of trips it has suddenly gone into high mode while driving and flashing the high light on the dash and showing the high mode arrow. Pressing the switch back down to normal mode sorts the problem but obviously something is wrong and I'd like to sort it before it gets worse. Some research into previous threads point to Valve Block NRV, Driver Pack, Relay or possibly a wheel sensor. Where do you think I should start?
i have a spare working Driver Pack, changing the relay is easy and I'll order a Valve Block rebuild kit. I rebuilt the Valve Block three years ago. Have I missed anything?
As always thanks in advance.

Jim

I notice The Problem But apppeared in my title....can't seem to erase it.

·
Registered
23 Posts
When you say 'it has suddenly gone into high mode...' it suggests to me you could simply have a poor electrical connection (earth?) somewhere in the system. There are a number of threads here giving likely locations/suspects.

Failing that I'd be inclined to look at wheel sensors first - most likely to fail and easy to check.

Finally, does using the inhibit switch prevent this behaviour? That could give you a pointer as to whereabouts in the system the issue is.

·
Super Moderator
2,310 Posts
It's going into soft fault mode which, depending on the actual fault will either drop you to the bumpstops or put it in High. Most likely a faulty height sensor, you'll need to read the stored faults to see which one.

·
Premium Member
568 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the prompt replies, the inhibit switch was on the first time it happened and off the second, does that point in a certain direction?
Richard, would that show in the EAS software?

·
Registered
139 Posts
..hello..i have had exactly that symptoms, and usually that will happen when i take U-turn a bit more aggressive so car bend sideways a bit more..soon as its straighten up, kicking in high mode and top LED blink..same as yours, hitting height button sorting it out...several times did it while on highway, without turning, but almost always does it when U-turn happen on a way i said...it was faulty height sensor (rear right)...

·
JACK'S GRANDAD
9,244 Posts

·
Registered
565 Posts
Re: EAS Rising to high mode while driving. the problem but

There's several possible causes I have seen:

1. Green corrosion in the connectors behind the Left footwell panel. (less likely because is causes height switch issues rather than random height changes)
  2. Dodgy connections where the ECU wiring enters the driver pack potting compound.
  3. Intermittent connection at driver pack output connector to solenoids.
  4. Bad height sensor, or bad connection to sensor.
In my experience, 2 & 3 are the main causes of the "random high mode" issue. If you check diagnostics after it occurs you will often see "valve stuck closed" or "valve stuck open" faults. There have been previous threads on this exact issue.

#1 is easily fixable by cutting out the bad connectors, and soldering the looms together.
#2 generally means replacement driver pack, or many hours trying to remove the potting compound to re-solder the wires.
#3 is easily fixable by gently squeezing the socket contacts inside the plastic housing.
#4 is best diagnosed with either EAS-Unlock or a multimeter.

Pete

·
Premium Member
568 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

Thanks Ecco, Martin and Pete I'll check 1 - 4 as suggested.

·
Premium Member
568 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

It would appear now with diagnostics it's 2 or 3....latest problem is when it feels like it, it won't raise until it has a little think for a few minutes then it's fine. I'm going to rebuild the Valve Block and replace the driver pack.

·
Registered
565 Posts

You can easily bench test the driver pack & solenoids. Lots of info in this thread.

1. Take the EAS block housing out of the car.
  2. Remove the block & driver assembly from the housing, but keep the block, solendoids & driver pack all connected to each other.
  3. Power up the driver pack cia the C152 input connector by applying 12V to pins 12 & 13, and then 0V-GND to pins 10 & 11
  4. To trigger each solenoid connect 12V to pins 1 to 6 in turn. The driver pack will apply the "hit, Hold & Drop" to the relevant solenoid.
  5. While you have the 12V applied to the input connector, wiggle the wires where they enter the driver pack, and also in the connector from driver pack to solenoids.
  6. If any of the solenoids intermittently open & close, while the 12V signal is constant, then you have found the problem.

·
Premium Member
568 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

Will do when the o rings and diaphragm arrive.....when I take it out may as well rebuild the Valve Block .

·
Premium Member
568 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

Ive rebuilt the Valve Block and put it in and straight away four lights flashing and Eas error.....took it out and checked all connections, put it back and hard fault again. Can't figure it out...only thing I'm thinking is I put in the red o rings which look finer than the black....could this be the problem?
Or have I missed something?

·
Premium Member
568 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
.These are the o rings

Attachments

·
Premium Member
568 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
It's also interesting to note that before the rebuild I changed the relay in the fuse box and it stopped going into high mode while driving for 4 days.

·
Super Moderator
2,310 Posts
The red/orange rings are rubbish, too thin and never seal properly.

·
Premium Member
568 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Just what I thought putting them in......thanks. I'll do it again today.

·
Premium Member
568 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Well I cleared the fault after replacing the Valve Block and bingo all good so far. Only thing now is rear right drops quickly but it's the airline going into the block....easily sorted.

·
Premium Member
568 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Also wanted to say this was the o ring on the NRV.... IMG_5329.JPG

·
Premium Member
568 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Well it wasn't the airline.....when I switch engine off the right rear drops very quickly and no evident leaks , and certainly not to make it drop so quick. I have taken the Valve Block out again and can't find anything that is obvious, except this short on the exhaust solenoid...
would this effect the R Rear?...

IMG_5348.JPG

·
Premium Member
568 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Ok so I repaired the wire and replaced the R Rear solenoid/valve with a spare I had and all working well. It's interesting to note that the original reason for this post was rising to high mode while driving and since I replaced the relay in the fuse box the rising has stopped...I also put the old driver pack back in to see if it happens again after Valve Block rebuild.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts