RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
874 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm thinking about replacing my front EAS air springs, most likely with Gen IIs.

Anyhow, been doing my due diligence and wanted to ask a few questions, before going forward w/ the project.

First about parts:
In addition to the air springs, I'm thinking about getting few components as a back up.
Looking to get: 4 D clips, 4 spring clips, and couple fender liner 2-piece fasteners.

Questions about parts:
-2-piece fender fasteners. Are these standard items, ie can I buy them at NAPA, Pepboys, etc. Or, are these RR specific? If they are indeed RR spec, what's the part #?
-Spring clips: How the heck do you remove them? Any special tools needed?

Second, about the operation itself:
I plan to use 1 jack and 2 stands, and do one side at a time, w/ fender liner off. I plan to place a stand on the axle as well as on the chassis (Use the front cross member?)

Question about the operation:
-Is it better to put some petroleum jelly on the ends of the airline? Or just good thorough cleaning of the pipe ends will do?

Thanks

·
Registered
105 Posts
You shouldn't need any extra parts. The clips are easily removed with a hook tool or long needle nose pliers. Use a drop of oil to lube the line end after inspecting for wear. Should take 15 min to 30 min a side if using complete units and you possess common sense.
Remember to depressurize the system prior to repairs. Leave the driver door open, start engine let run for 5-8 min to recharge air tank after repairs.
I recently replaced both my rear bags, took 35 min ea including removing old spring from caps and installing them onto new Arnott's.

·
Registered
874 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the input. As this is going to be my first air suspension replacement procedure, maybe I'm over-thinking this thing.

Anyhow, I've gone ahead and placed an order for Gen IIs. Probably going to receive them sometime next week, so probably will be doing the replacement next weekend.

If I stumble or get stomped during the repair, I'm pretty sure that I'll be calling for help here.

Regards,

·
Premium Member
2010-2012 Range Rover MkIII / L322
4,635 Posts
The most useful tool which you may need (depending on the climate etc) is a long nose punch and hammer to remove the 'R' pins from the airspring. Make sure the diameter is the same or less than the R pin itself so it can pass all the way through.

Other than that, it's pretty straight forward.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I have a "like new" pair of front replacement airbags for your RR going for $100.00 for the pair. They still have the white powder on the underside. Anyway, i'm in San Diego. Call me if your interested in the bags or if you need any work done on your rover.

Shaun
619-243-6808

·
Registered
874 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
UPDATE: EAS related parts # inquiry and other questions

Hi, just to update.

I went ahead and got Gen II bags, and did the replacement today. Though wish I had the info about the $100/pair bags.....

It was my first time replacing the bags, but overall the process was surprisingly simple. The hardest part of the process, in my opinion, was getting the fender liners off (I just did the fronts, and I would say that taking off and putting the fender liner on took 70% of my time. The actual replacement procedure for the bags were literally just 5 minutes each.

I did manage to ruin one fender liner fastener, so I'll probably go stop by NAPA to get some replacements. I've also managed to put some scratch marks on the fender liners in the process of getting the fasteners off. Oh well.

Couldn't have done it w/o all of you guys. Thanks!!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts