RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I rebuilt valve block and compressor and all works, sort of fine, 1998 and 203,000 km

When I leave the EAS in off-road mode it stays up, start car and the top light comes on

When I leave EAS in normal mode the back drops by just under an inch (about 2 cm), start the car and it flashes for a few seconds while it lifts
So obviously there is air in the reservoir (tested it this morning with an 8 bar gauge, it goes to maximum)

It sounds like I have a small leak in a rear bag(s), that seals itself when the bag is stretched

BUT

If I pull fuse 44 and leave it in normal mode overnight, it stays up and level - obviously no leak from bags

Why would it only leak in normal mode?

If I go to the shops and leave it in normal mode, it has to pump up the rear a little bit, even after 30 minutes
In high mode it drops nothing

·
Administrator
27,802 Posts
If I pull fuse 44 and leave it in normal mode overnight, it stays up and level - obviously no leak from bags
FALSE: Completely incorrect. As noted in countless threads you MUST check for leaks at each height setting. Bags begin to leak at the setting most used. For most people that is between standard and highway settings. You can leave a rig for days on end and it won't drop as long as the crack that is leaking is not exposed on the bag roll. Once the bag flexes going down the road the cracks open up and air escapes.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
OK, what you said has been said before and makes sense, I have an old bag and I can see the little cracks, and when I extend the bag the cracks close.

BUT, that does not seem to explain why it only leaks in standard setting if the EAS is live. I rewired the EAS using fuse 35 instead of fuse 44, that means the EAS is only live when the ignition is on. Now it does not go down when ignition is swiched off

·
Registered
75 Posts
Have to tried to clean the rear height sensors or recalibrate the heights?
I had(still) similar issue after rebuild and new bags. After cleaning all the sensors with brake cleaner i got the problem solved.

·
Administrator
27,802 Posts
Again, it all depends on where the leak is. Doesn;t matter if your system is live or not. Each time you park your Range Rover the bags are at a slightly different spot on the bags. If the system is live it will do it's periodic check and lower the bags from the highest corner. It only takes the slightest change to expose a leak. Something else to think about is that your bag will be leaking the entire time you are driving at normal height. The leak will vent with every bump, sway and movement of the suspension. This of course is only added strain on the compressor. Bags are cheap, you know your bags are aging and cracked, why not replace the leaking bag and it's mate and be done?

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks a lot, I actually got two bags on Saturday and the instructions off this site, was just wondering about the cause
Will get to it this weekend.
PS where in the world is Kloshe Cottage
I assume somewhere in Oregon

·
Administrator
27,802 Posts
WA is Washington. I am up by La Conner on Martha's Bay.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts