RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I made my EAS cable for my '95 soft dash classic today and decided to see what I could do.
Some background Info: My classic currently has a EAS fault whereby it stays fixed at standard ride height. In between the fault and now I have fitted a new compressor seal and EAS ECU.
The cable is connected using a DELL Precision M6300 laptop via the USB/DB9 adaptor.
My method:
Laptop on, RSW software running
cable connected to Range Rover, comm port selected
ignition on to position two (lights on dash)
Click 'Initialise'
and this is where the problem starts and I need help!
this happens:

Tx scrolls through up to numbers sometimes in the 300's and sometimes 400's before stopping
Rx displays PP
the software crashes i.e I need to end task via ctrl+alt+del.

Any help as to what's going on would be gratefully appreciated!

·
Legacy Vendor
341 Posts
Not all USB-to-serial adapters are created equal. I have had success using the Belkin adapter, pricey but works on several different laptops I have tried.

More recently, I have had luck with this style of adapter which uses the PL2303 chipset. Make sure you download the latest drivers from the Prolific website.

Do a search on eBay for USB Serial adapaters and look for ones that look like the image above.

Cheers, Paul.

·
Premium Member
1,855 Posts
PaulP38A said:
Not all USB-to-serial adapters are created equal.
Sometimes the problem just lies in the Driver default settings.

You may find a Driver Setting (under Computer Management > Device Manager > Ports > (your adaptor)), something like "Set RTS on close", or something similar. Enable this setting - it is often un-checked by default.

Have a read of this analysis I did a few years back:
viewtopic.php?p=209834#p209834
and my subsequent post a few later down the thread:
viewtopic.php?p=210081#p210081

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
paul.adshead said:
PaulP38A said:
Not all USB-to-serial adapters are created equal.
Sometimes the problem just lies in the Driver default settings.

You may find a Driver Setting (under Computer Management > Device Manager > Ports > (your adaptor)), something like "Set RTS on close", or something similar. Enable this setting - it is often un-checked by default.

Have a read of this analysis I did a few years back:
http://www.rangerovers.net/forum/viewto ... 34#p209834
and my subsequent post a few later down the thread:
http://www.rangerovers.net/forum/viewto ... 81#p210081
Sorry Paul, I had hit 'reply' before seeing your post. Thanks for the info also. I will review and let you know my results!

·
Premium Member
1,855 Posts
Run through the test detailed in the first link. Also check out/ change your driver settings (as per above) and then try the test again. Unless you can get that test working, the software will NOT work.

·
Legacy Vendor
341 Posts
Roo said:
Thanks for your reply.
So my usb adaptor is at fault then?
I bought this one:
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... K:MEWNX:IT
Am I best to cut my losses with it and buy better or can I download a driver to make it compatible?
funny, I bought a batch that looked just like those a while ago and could not get them to work either, even with the latest PL2303 drivers from Prolific.

Have bought several batches similar to this one http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/USB-MALE-RS232-DB9-SERIAL-NULL-MODEM-CABLE-ADAPTOR-U-/280523883815?cmd=ViewItem&pt=UK_Computing_CablesConnectors_RL&hash=item415086c527 and they work fine.

Cheers, Paul.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Again, thanks for everyones help,

I have just been through the linked threads and checked all of my port settings etc. I then went to the RR and tried using the software again but this time with the engine running and the laptop on mains power. I get the same results except that the Tx field counts up indefinitely and the software no longer freezes/crashes. The Rx field still returns a PP value.

I have therefore bought the recommended adaptor (linked above) so we will see what happens once that arrives.

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
865 Posts
As the vehicle is old I would solder the plug connections.

Also if memory serves me correctly you cant just connect up a cable.
Between cable and PC I think there is a transistor or something....not 100% sure on this though

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yes,
I made the cable as per the diagram on RSW's site. It includes the 15k resistor and transistor. All the connections have been soldered too so I'm hoping that it is indeed the usb part that is causing the problems. I am away this week but hope to test again at the weekend with the newly purchased usb connector.

viperover said:
As the vehicle is old I would solder the plug connections.

Also if memory serves me correctly you cant just connect up a cable.
Between cable and PC I think there is a transistor or something....not 100% sure on this though

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well, my new connector arrived and as you predicted, this was where the problem was. So, cable connected and software running I ran the program. First fault log was on the left, the second (on the right) after restarting the software and running again.

After disconnecting the cable, my EAS worked perfectly for one day. It has now returned to the original setting of standard ride height and the fault light on the dash.
I'm a bit lost to say the least so any help as to what to do now would be gratefully received!

·
Legacy Vendor
341 Posts
Looking at the second set of faults, I'm hoping it is not a driver pack problem and just some sticking solenoid valves. Have you replaced the o-rings and given the solenoid a good clean, and replaced the o-rings in the solenoid bases? Might do the trick.

Cheers, Paul.

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
865 Posts
According to the fault read out I would disconnect EAS ECU plug and apply contact cleaner and work plug a few times to aid in terminal cleaning (sort of a scrub)

Do the same for the two multi plugs with the EAS box on the side of the chassis.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts