RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1970-1995 Range Rover Classic
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi. I read somewhere that a modification on the pump filter was to take off the filter and attach tubing from the pump to the clean side of the engine air filter. This should give cooler air to the pump.
I was thinking of doing this by re threading the end plate of the pump to 1/4 NPT and also the air filter box the same, with pipe fittings screwed in and use 3/8" nylon tubing which also has a bigger I.D. to allow air to travel more freely to the pump instead of the small I.D. on the stock filter.
Curious if anybody has done this and opinions?

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
Never heard of it. What's the anticipated advantage of cooler air? And what's the anticipated advantage of a less restrictive air source? Compressor are positive displacement air pumps unlike something like a fan where intake restrictions are much more important.

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
361 Posts
Hi. I read somewhere that a modification on the pump filter was to take off the filter and attach tubing from the pump to the clean side of the engine air filter. This should give cooler air to the pump.
I was thinking of doing this by re threading the end plate of the pump to 1/4 NPT and also the air filter box the same, with pipe fittings screwed in and use 3/8" nylon tubing which also has a bigger I.D. to allow air to travel more freely to the pump instead of the small I.D. on the stock filter.
Curious if anybody has done this and opinions?
\

I could be wrong, but I think this is not a good idea.

When you use the airfilter, you try to suck air from a room with a lower air pressure as from under the bonnet, so the compressor has to work a lot harder to reach pressure.
The pressure in the intake manifold is about -0.5 bar!!

·
Premium Member
1,354 Posts
You will get little benefit from the cooler air going into the compressor. It will get heated up when compressed anyway, which is why intercoolers are usually placed after the compressor.
As pointed out, at wide throttle openings the compressor will have to draw air away from the intake, against the engine (which is basically a large air pump).
You'll also increase resistance by adding tubing and connectors, so will replace the restriction in the stock filter with another restriction.
If you look at reducing temperature, a better idea would be to supply cool air to the compressor body. But IMHO definitely not worth putting in a bonnet scoop or such!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts