RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
931 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Pump seems to be running often in short cycles (10 to 20secs) every minute or so.
Took of the inlet airfilter and felt with my finger.If held close to the inlet finger is sucked onto inlet as expected.If finger is held a little further distant away there is a distinct jet of air coming from the air inlet.So it appears to be sucking and blowing at the same time :think: .

I held a piece of paper a short distance from the inlet and is blown away from the inlet.
I am thinking split diaphram or valves in pump head.Your thoughts welcome :thumb:

·
FOUNDING MEMBER
4,509 Posts
The little puff of air from the compressor is the discharge valve in the head, it's not sealing perfectly. Cleaning the gunk off with some 1500 or 2000 grit wet/dry sandpaper may do it, may require a new oring as well.

The frequent running is leaks in the airsprings, block or orings for the airlines.

·
LEGACY VENDOR
2,492 Posts
I've replaced the o-rings of the head and applied some silicone grease on all gaskets but i do not have good results.
Any idea?

·
Registered
931 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
shupack said:
The little puff of air from the compressor is the discharge valve in the head, it's not sealing perfectly. Cleaning the gunk off with some 1500 or 2000 grit wet/dry sandpaper may do it, may require a new oring as well.

The frequent running is leaks in the airsprings, block or orings for the airlines.
Recently replaced the the airsprings.Cant see any leaks there.The system stays up overnight.
The piston and seal was also replaced.
If the discharge valve in the head is leaking,would the pump sound louder than normal.?
The puff of air from the compressor is quite pronounced and feels like a continuous stream.
I have ordered new compressor mounts and diaphram from you just incase and have the valve block orings already.

·
Registered
931 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
After stripping the pump head again,I found the cause of the excess pump noise was the new piston I had installed,hitting the head of the screw retaining the discharge valve in the head.Not sure yet why it has done so as I presume the new crank ,piston and sleeve are the correct size.

I also removed the discharge valve and cleaned off the little muck there was with metal polish.The oring looked pretty flat ,so I removed it as well to replace.The oring groove appears to have some sort of white powder in it.It appears quite hard.Is this some sort of sealant gone hard?.Should this be scraped out before fitting a new oring?

·
FOUNDING MEMBER
4,509 Posts
the white gunk is teflon glue to hold in the oring, yes, scrape it ALL out, if you leave any the new oring will not lay flat and you won't get a good seal.

The new piston isn't likely longer, but the dimple for clearance on the screw is likely in a different spot. I've come across this once, I believe the ones for the RRC are a bit different, but I don't remember the details.

·
Registered
931 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
shupack said:
the white gunk is teflon glue to hold in the oring, yes, scrape it ALL out, if you leave any the new oring will not lay flat and you won't get a good seal.

The new piston isn't likely longer, but the dimple for clearance on the screw is likely in a different spot. I've come across this once, I believe the ones for the RRC are a bit different, but I don't remember the details.

Thanks,will it be necessary to glue the new oring in then?

Yes the screw is hitting the edge of the dimple,so I guess it must be offset slightly.never a dull moment!

At the commutator section,I see there is a "retaining washer" that the armature shaft runs through prior to entering the rear bush.This is loose.I remember reading somewhere that you should remove this as it can cause problems.Is it ok to do this?

·
Registered
931 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well after stripping both the 327 and 315 pumps ,I found the reed valve in the 327 to be broken.The last 5mm missing.
I swopped the valve from the 315 and now have a quiet working 327!

This brings up further thoughts.

Dennis can you supply the reed valves new or used?

When A pump is new(read working as well as it can) and you have the inlet filter removed and the pump running ,can you feel any air being expelled from the inlet as well as suction?

Can you press the bearing off the pump crank?(reason, I could then fit the conrod and piston from a 315 onto the 327 and achieve apump with a better motor)

·
FOUNDING MEMBER
4,509 Posts
Yes, I have several used, and can get new reed valves.

I suppose the bearings can be pressed out/in on the pistons, I've started doing it with the motors for re-winds

1 - 11 of 11 Posts