Range Rovers Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2000/2001 p38 and whilst when left for a few days it would uninflate itself over night never seemed to take long to rise up to level ride height.
however the other day I started up in the morning, all the lights did their self check but the ride height array flashed... all of them... as usual, then with the low ride flashing height light on and the level ride height flashing I waited for her to rise to normal height..... nothing... she just sat there and wouldn't rise. switched off and heard the click click click of decompression. took the cover off the eas box started her up and couldn't hear the compressor.... waited until it had enough time to cool and reset tried again... compressor ran for about one minute.and ...nothing... tried again the next day and compressor ran for a SHORT while but no "rising" tried again later and cant hear the compressor at all so presume it is either not delivering enough air to make the system work or there is no air being given to the "holding tank" or suspension. removed the lower airline from the pressure tank and sure enough there was a little click click click and air was sent out of the pipe in short bursts for 2 or 3 times. not very strongly...I have NO warning lights showing on the dash...no beeps and the only thing that keeps flashing is the level ride light .
PLEASE.... advise on next course of action to prove or dosprove a fault or any advice on cause defect and repair would make me eternally grateful.
cna't work out if it is the compressor at fault , the block not allowing air into the system or a leak mant thanks in advance frightened to use her at all in case I send her into "hard fault" mode

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
33 Posts
I had same problem, first thing i did was rebuild the valve block. Didn`t help, of course didn`t hurt. First thing i did after reading this forum was to start the car, leave the door ajar so air block did not activate. Need to wait about 9 mins for air tank to fill when completely empty. On my 2000 RR i can hear the air vent (hiss) when the pump stops, dumping head pressure. Then shut the door and look for system light on dash to flash. Car should go up. Mine did. What i found on mine was both front air bags were leaking just enough to keep the pump from filling the system to let the car go up. ie, air leaking out as fast as pump could try to fill it. Found the rubber on the bags was actually leaking through. (soapy water). Found set of new Gen III front bags from Suncore for $185 on Ebay. Changed them out myself, pretty easy. Found instructions on this forum. One pin on the bottom and 2 clips on top.

·
LEGACY VENDOR
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
4,225 Posts
If your compressor is not running, or is running a short while, then I would start there.

Chances are the compressor needs a rebuild (parts all available readily and cheaply) and have a look on here regarding testing the thermal cutout.
Also, check the fuse box/relay that drives the compressor, as it sounds weird that it's intermittent - but 1 minute shouldn't be long enough for it to thermal trip.

RSW solutions have free software to diagnose the EAS - you just have to buy/build the cable.

Start at the compressor, as without air, you can't try to detect leaks in the system.

Marty

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
hi. have a nagging feeling its the compressor. so took the unit off bench tested it by connecting the appropriate pins to a battery charger. the pump seems to run quite slowly and I can easily hold my finger over the outlet almost indefinitely without the air trying to escape...does it look like I'm going down the right road? fer pump? my thoughts are with approx 150psi supposedly being pumped it should be very difficult for me to stop the air escaping

·
Registered
931 Posts
You have an air leak as your RR drops down over night.Therefore the air compressor works over time to compensate for the air lost due to the leak and is prematurely worn out.To test the pump remove the airline connection from the pump outlet underneath the pump.With the pipe removed start the pump running and then place your finger over the pump outlet.You should not be able to stop the flow of air coming out of the pump.If you can then it is time to replace the piston seal or replace the pump.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts