RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok I have not had my Rangy long so I am still getting used to what is & what isn't supposed to be happening with the EAS system. The pump appears to run on and off all the time the engine is running (is this right or wrong?)

Anyway this is not the problem that has prompted me to ask for help, I have a new issue...

The other week I started her up from cold and the night before I had dropped her down to unload level so I was expecting the height to rise but it didn't, I got the arrow on the dash and the flashing light on the EAS height selector but that’s how it stayed, no movement in height, just a single light on @ load height and a flashing light @ normal height.

If I try to encourage the height to rise by selecting max height the only thing that happens is that the flashing light moves up (but ride height stays the same)

The only way I have been able to shock it into life is to open and close the tailgate (end even this takes several attempts) but then the height raises unevenly at the o/s/f wheel. To level out I then need to select max hight, let it raise and then lower to normal.

When not in use the height stays fairly well, there may be a slight drop nut nothing noticeable when looking at the car, just enough to trigger the car to auto level on start-up. At which point the whole flashing light thing starts again.

What could this be? Height sensor, sticking valve, general height calibration?

There is no faults showing on the dash and the car will allow me to drive at unload height (although I have only done this once and for a short distance)

Any ideas, I have looked at the EAS FAQ and couldn't see my problem there.

·
Registered
401 Posts
It's in soft fault mode, I think. What is the physical condition of the system?

·
Registered
540 Posts
sounds as though your pump may be tired. Had the same with mine, rebuilt the pump and now is fine.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
rhino_ed said:
It's in soft fault mode, I think. What is the physical condition of the system?
Condition is good, How would I know if it was in soft fault mode?

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
john-sussex said:
sounds as though your pump may be tired. Had the same with mine, rebuilt the pump and now is fine.
What is involved in a pump rebuild? Is there a kit available for this?

·
FOUNDING MEMBER
4,509 Posts
tired compressor AND mild leakage from the reservoir tank.

The o/s/f rising is not exactly right, there may be a switched up line or solenoid. Rebuild the compressor first and see how it goes. A good compressor, with no leaks in the system, should run 30 seconds every 5 minutes or so unless you change heights.

·
Registered
540 Posts
Indecisive said:
john-sussex said:
What is involved in a pump rebuild? Is there a kit available for this?
Check out Dennis above this post. Top Bloke knows his stuff. Pump easy rebuild, did mine in under twenty mins!

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
865 Posts
Depending on year of rangie possibly a valve block re seal is in order along with compressor but depends on age of the compressor. If its old its not worth rebuilding even doing whats called the brush box repair.
After doing compressor do a air filter mod to it, worth its weight in gold

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
shupack said:
tired compressor AND mild leakage from the reservoir tank.

The o/s/f rising is not exactly right, there may be a switched up line or solenoid. Rebuild the compressor first and see how it goes. A good compressor, with no leaks in the system, should run 30 seconds every 5 minutes or so unless you change heights.
Not sure if it makes a difference but I didn't mention what the o/s/f was doing, it raises to max height when the other corners go to normal height. This is why I now have to set ride hight to max and then drop down to normal. Very strange, this is what made me think it could be a sticky valve block?

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
viperover said:
Depending on year of rangie possibly a valve block re seal is in order along with compressor but depends on age of the compressor. If its old its not worth rebuilding even doing whats called the brush box repair.
After doing compressor do a air filter mod to it, worth its weight in gold
The car has done 89000 on a 97R. Not sure if it has ever been replaced, the car has been very well looked after in its life so it is possible it has had a new one at some point. Is it worth getting the whole kit like this http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Range-Rover-P38-E ... 286.c0.m14
or should I just get something more like this http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Range-Rover-P38-E ... 286.c0.m14

And what is this air filter mod, do you have a link? what are the advantages?

Thanks

·
Legacy Vendor
341 Posts
Indecisive said:
Not sure if it makes a difference but I didn't mention what the o/s/f was doing, it raises to max height when the other corners go to normal height. This is why I now have to set ride hight to max and then drop down to normal. Very strange, this is what made me think it could be a sticky valve block?
Maybe... you might want to change the o-rings over as well. Easy enough to do. Get them from Dennis at http://www.roverrenovations.com/ at a pretty good price. He will send you instructions or feel free to check out my guide at http://paulp38a.com/99p38a/eas-valve-block-renew/

cheers, Paul.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
PaulP38A said:
Maybe... you might want to change the o-rings over as well. Easy enough to do. Get them from Dennis at http://www.roverrenovations.com/ at a pretty good price. He will send you instructions or feel free to check out my guide at http://paulp38a.com/99p38a/eas-valve-block-renew/

cheers, Paul.
:shock: Maybe, if I have no joy with the pump rebuild. That's a very indepth guide you have done there. Looks very complex but I'm sure its alot simpler while your actually doing it and following your guide. Had a look at some of your other step by step guides, I bet the top end strip down was fun :thumb:

Thanks also for the link for roverrenovations, I'm in the uk though so if I do take the plunge, I will see if I can locate a o-ring set locally first.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
1 - 15 of 15 Posts