RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys.
Feel like ive gone to hell and back taking off a rear air bag, seen all the tech info and videos about replacing the air bags on the rear.
The problem was getting the bag to come off, did the normal realeased the clips etc but the dam thing woould not give up.
Two hours getting the air bag off.
Has any one had the same problem.
Got it off now and replaced the bag with a new one.

Sent from my GT-N8010 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
26 Posts
Did all four of mine a couple of weeks ago. Fronts were a joy, unclipped and swapped for new. Rears were stuck fast. After cutting one in half, hammering on a flat bar on top of the air connections in the chassis gap and a lot of swearing I went round the outside of each with a small crowbar gently twisting it from underneath - eventually both came off with a crack and now I have new airbags. I feel your pain! Even in an inspection pit it's trying work. (Also don't use a disc cutter on the rubber, it starts to burn).. I think if done regularly as preventative type maintenance it shouldn't be an issue. Hadn't done this car before and I suspect they had been in there a while.

·
Super Moderator
2,222 Posts
Yes, the often put up a fight. As they are scrap and are going to be replaced anyway, I just put an old 1" wood chisel against the top, give it a whack with a mallet and chop the top off. The airbag just falls out then.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts