RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Premium Member
2006-2009 Range Rover Sport
516 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone tried to replace the piston rings on the old style L320 EAS compressor? I have a 2006 with 120k and the compressor supplies well over 140psi to the tank and will run normally then start to slow down like it is seizing up then stop and fault out. After cooling down it works fine until called to fill more than normal pressure to the tank (after raising and lowering...). I have not found any leaks anywhere. I removed the compressor and looked at the piston rings. The primary one at the top looked blistered and the secondary one looked just OK. I'm not convinced the rings are a problem however they seem real easy to replace. I have not been able to find a source for a "piston ring" kit or the temp sensor. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Disclaimer: I am still sorting through all the many EAS threads for possible answers. And yes I am doing my best to not spend $800 on a new compressor. Money is part of it, being defeated by a simple mechanical device is biggest part.

·
Premium Member
2006-2009 Range Rover Sport
5,175 Posts
AFAIK, no one on the board has tried to rebuild one. The compressor is made by Hitachi, and I believe no longer mfgd.

I do recall an episode of Wheeler Dealers where Edd tried to source the rings for a Mk3 compressor and could not find a source in the UK.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts