What does this mean?

What effect, if any, will it be having?

(yes, I did a search!).

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
865 Posts
Hi "SpiggyTopes"

I picked up a odd fault on another P38 working compressor alot, after using the wonderful free EAS software I discovered that the wiring for solenoids were wrong on rear as if pipe connections were swooped about, but who knows could even be from the EAS driver unit being wired incorrectly during assembly so I now test each solenoid to check if it relates to the command on the software.

·
FOUNDING MEMBER
4,509 Posts
either the ECU lost it's calibration (not likely, but possible) or that sensor has died/is dying...(assuming you havn't crossed any airlines or wires as above).

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the swift replies!

If I just ignore it, what will happen?

·
FOUNDING MEMBER
4,509 Posts
depending on what's actually wrong, you can range from nothing at all, to a hard fault (at the most in-opportune time). If it is a bad sensor, you can go for years, just be stuck in normal hight, no highway or offroad height.

·
Registered
922 Posts
Don't forget that for later model P38s you can swap the sensors from side to side and utilise the hitherto untouched portion of the variable resistor track...just like a new one!...unless of course it's been done previously.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Tell us all a little more about swapping height sensors to track on unused portions of the rheostat. Many of us probably have aging rovers and if doing this gives us many more years of no trouble with sensors, everybody should do it. Thanks!!! `)

·
Registered
550 Posts
What is the break down of model years that have swappable sensors?. Mine is a 1999 Gems. I'm getting an intermittent RF sensor error.

·
FOUNDING MEMBER
4,509 Posts
All of them, early classics can't I believe.

Replacement sensors for the '95-96 have a bracket to use the later style sensor, so if you buy new, it matter which side for them. On your 99 they should be identical.

·
Registered
550 Posts
So Dennis, Am I correct in thinking that I can swap my 98/99 ( since its a Gems) sensors to get another lease of life?

·
Registered
865 Posts
Yipe but it dont always work 100 %
Opening them up and cleaning up with switch cleaner works well though I've had a few that were way to far gone, seems the carbon tracks become possibly to resistive with age..

The original poster "Spiggy" has now sold this Rangie and moved onto another planet where Land cruisers make sense.....like we all should do... 8-|=

I didnt say that
I dindt say that
no no no

1 - 13 of 13 Posts