Range Rovers Forum banner

EAS: Non return Valves, where to get ?

7K views 9 replies 5 participants last post by  chrisall 
#1 ·
Hi,

rebuilding valve block I´ve seen that non return valves are not in great shape. Aluminum Cone is not regular and present some debris. (I´ve fine polished them)

Where can I get new ones ?

thanks

See less See more
#3 ·
I have some used ones available, havn't found them new (but I've got one with a machine shop to try and copy economically) but those look fine. the cone is just for basic location, the oring does the sealing. clean that barb off and it should be ok.

from what I can tell it looks like the oring won't fall off, as long as it holds tight put it in and make sure it doesn't leak (evidenced by "odd" behavior but nothing really wrong. #1 sypmptom of a leaky check valve is the front rising and lowering slowly when stopped at a light and the compressor running.

#4 ·
shupack said:
#1 sypmptom of a leaky check valve is the front rising and lowering slowly when stopped at a light and the compressor running.
Sorry to hijack this thread slightly - Whenever I stop at the lights & leave my foot on the brake I seem to hear the EAS compressor running (YES it IS the compressor, not the ABS pump). Strange thing is when I take foot off the brake the compressor stops for a few seconds......I haven't noticed the raising & lowering though.

Is that likely to be the check valves?

Cheers,
Chrisall.

#5 ·
chrisall said:
shupack said:
#1 sypmptom of a leaky check valve is the front rising and lowering slowly when stopped at a light and the compressor running.
Sorry to hijack this thread slightly - Whenever I stop at the lights & leave my foot on the brake I seem to hear the EAS compressor running (YES it IS the compressor, not the ABS pump). Strange thing is when I take foot off the brake the compressor stops for a few seconds......I haven't noticed the raising & lowering though.

Cheers,
Chrisall.
Check valves (non-return valves) the picture attached, are pasives. I mean, they just open air circulation in one way and stops in the opposite. they aren´t electronic commanded.

This is a supposition:
If compressor runs it´s because height sensors say it to run, normaly a sensor saying I´m Low!!! pump to rise me.
Compressor runs till:
- sensors feel at right height.
- thermal switch complains, stop too hot, and then EAS fault
- Pressure switch say EAS got 10bars, too much. Stop pumping.

I supouse this becase I´ve not seen there exist a sensor for pressures thresholds, for instant: a sensor saying stop at 10bar, star at 9bars, in charged of keeping air tank with enough pressure.

Then, If I´m right, you have a leaky spring, line, connexion or valveblock or EAS logic is malfunctioning, but I don´t think so.

#6 ·
shupack said:
I have some used ones available, havn't found them new (but I've got one with a machine shop to try and copy economically) but those look fine. the cone is just for basic location, the oring does the sealing. clean that barb off and it should be ok.
Hummm, I think this non-return valve is not working fine.
yesterday night I put back rebuilded valveblock and compressor, It worked (note below) and leave it normal height. This morning I found car at Extra height, it raised. As soon as I started car it went down to Normal height.
So I suppouse that I have a leak form air tank to air springs, this is the circuit of one of the non-return valve (I´m triying to find the Rave schema to check this).

So, O-ring close the hole, but bad cone, perhaps, make that oring do not seat fine.

regards.

note: After puting back all the stuffs, start engine and few minutes latter car begin to rise ..... Oh! dear. Have you seen this movie Tom Hanks , alone at an island.... Fire!!!!, I´ve got Fire!!!!!: the same :)

#7 ·
Good job Jesus!!
Congratulations!!!!

About your previous post: one thing:
To my knowledge the compressor does not stop when the hight sensors are happy.
Only reasons for stopping the compressor:
1. enouhg pressure
2. too much heat
3. ignition more than 2 minutes off
4. broken compressor

But glad you found the fire!!

#8 ·
chrisall said:
shupack said:

Cheers,
Chrisall.
That's normal operation. If it's running too long, you either have leaks, or a worn out compressor or both.

we're talking about 2 totally different functions on this one. When you take your foot off the brake, the ECU tells the compressor to stop because you may be going up an on-ramp onto the highway so:

1 you need all the power you can get, don't want the compressor to be a load on the alternatory

2 you may be going down to higway height soon, no need to keep pumping.

I know it's silly logic, but that's what the ECU has to work with.

#9 ·
jesusg9 said:
shupack said:
Hummm, I think this non-return valve is not working fine.
yesterday night I put back rebuilded valveblock and compressor, It worked (note below) and leave it normal height. This morning I found car at Extra height, it raised. As soon as I started car it went down to Normal height.
So I suppouse that I have a leak form air tank to air springs, this is the circuit of one of the non-return valve (I´m triying to find the Rave schema to check this).

So, O-ring close the hole, but bad cone, perhaps, make that oring do not seat fine.

regards.

note: After puting back all the stuffs, start engine and few minutes latter car begin to rise ..... Oh! dear. Have you seen this movie Tom Hanks ,
alone at an island.... Fire!!!!, I´ve got Fire!!!!!: the same :)
You would have 6 leaky valves, a non-return valve, the tank isolation valve, and the spring isolation valves. The isolations hold air IN their tank/spring only, the tank should be sealed off completely, air could leak into the springs, but with pressure on the top of them they should seal both directions.

If there was a temperature change that can put you at a higher height, in the springtime temperatures here can go from 45 to 90F in a day, that will raise Darcy almost 2" (when the ECU is unplugged to prevent leveling).

Check valves are never designed to be a perfect isolation anyway, they just help direct air. the solenoid valves do the isolation.

#10 ·
shupack said:
chrisall said:
shupack said:

Cheers,
Chrisall.
That's normal operation. If it's running too long, you either have leaks, or a worn out compressor or both.

we're talking about 2 totally different functions on this one. When you take your foot off the brake, the ECU tells the compressor to stop because you may be going up an on-ramp onto the highway so:

1 you need all the power you can get, don't want the compressor to be a load on the alternatory

2 you may be going down to higway height soon, no need to keep pumping.

I know it's silly logic, but that's what the ECU has to work with.
Thanks for that - I couldn't for the life of me think why the compressor stops when I take my foot off the brake !!! I think it is running a bit too long, probably due to the front springs (I've changed the rears already).

Cheers,
Chrisall.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.