Range Rovers Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have spent the best part of a year messing around with my EAS, and have just about rebuilt the system in its entirety. However I have a puzzling dilemma now. My rear end (don't laugh please, my wife has made all the jokes before...) dances up and down constantly. It changes height by about 4cm. constantly. There does not appear to be any external leaks around the air bags(new) or the valve block. Consequently my compressor is running nearly all the time with about 7 seconds between on-off cycles. You can hear the exhaust valve clicking open to lower the rear when it gets too high,then the compressor starts again and round and round we go. I recently found a thread pertaining to NRV leaks but it only mentions the front end dancing. If I open a door to cancel the self leveling, the rear continues to raise and the compressor builds system pressure to 150psi and shuts off like it's supposed to. Once you close the door it lowers and the whole process resumes. The thread alluded to leaky NRVs. But only on the front air springs. I have checked ohm values on the RHS and they range from 2.5 to 1.5 ohms throughout the range of motion. There is not any problem with voltage on the sensors either. They are new and calibrated, new air lines from tank to compressor. If i bypass the system and use my emergency inflator, it will stay up for several weeks without needing to top up the air so no leaks in the lines or springs. Also self leveling whie parked for a week at a time does not kill batter so I figure my air system is tight. I just can't get it to stop dancing and running the compressor too often.

·
Registered
1970-1995 Range Rover Classic
24 Posts
The eas is a bit of bugger I have found from my experience as soon as you do one thing another comes along. As with your problem I can't help but it's nice to know someone else has these problems I thought I was alone
Tes

·
Registered
740 Posts
Do you have a Nanocom ? Mine was doing weird up & down when driving along the motorway at steady speed. Captured the EAS Input data over a 20 mile drive, and then exported to Excel. One of the guys on Landyzone came up with useful Excel formula to compare the Valve Open/Close cycles to the Lift/Drop status, and found the EAS seemed to be randomly lifting & dropping when ECU showed closed, and other times not moving when valves should be open !!

Replaced the Driver Pack and it "appeared" to get better for a day or so, but issues returned.

Eventually bench testing I found the connector between the Driver Pack & Valve solenoids had all the pins slightly loose, even though the connectors seemed tight. Removed each socket in turn using Jewellers screwdriver, and squashed the sockets slightly. Now they all contact properly, and the EAS is significantly smoother. Nanocom logs now show the ECU valve drive in sync with the height changes (99% of the time).

I still get the feeling of the rear seeming to ramp up & down on the motorway, but much much slower than before. I suspected this is the natural adjustment in the system. . . .BUT the strange thing is it's actually the front dropping and rising again . . NOT the rear !! . . .

Height now drops 1" over night and stays there for several days !! . . . never all the way, so air-bag seals next.

BTW, I also have done the Relay Mod to disable the EAS when Ignition is off, so it's definitely not self levelling.

Pete

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
1,525 Posts
You can swap over the NRV's, some are more critical than others. Can't remember which.

A few folks have also turned the valves in a lathe or pillar drill and cleaned up the faces. You can't buy new ones if you mess it up though.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts