RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have bought some valves so i can pump up each air bag to make sure there is no leaks (it seemed to be dropping over night) i have just rebuilt compressor just need to know what psi i can pump into system seen a lot of threads about this but cant find actual psi car starts lifting at about 60psi and seems to get to somewhere about running height about 80psi i have a portable 150psi compressor so could put more in Any pointers would be great Cheers

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
550 Posts
My gauge attached to the Air Tank line registers about 130PSI when the compressor cuts off (I'm running a ViAir compressor directly attached to the Tank Line). If your Air bags are lifting at 80psi isn't that that the pressure need to determine the leak?
Individual Air Bags must be at much less pressure than 130PSI. If I were you, I would pump up the minimum amount of air to get to the height you want to test.
Have you isolated all four lines from the valve block or just trying one at a time?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i have isolated all four lines cant find any leaks me idea was to leave them on these valves a couple of days see what happens 55psi in back 60psi in front seems about right for ride height going to do a change of orings while i am at it as well sure i should have done this in summer

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
I have got a pressure gauge on mine. Car starts lifting about 6.5 bar (or 100 psi) +/- 0.5 bar.
Nothing happens before then.

You are better putting the compressor air in via a tee in the line to the air tank. That way pressure is limited by the relief valve in the valve block. If you put it in direct to an airbag there is no over pressure protection.

My gauge peaks out at around 9 to 10 bars. So to answer your question the system will take around 10 bars max.

I would not put that much into an individual air bag. They can burst. I would limit it to 100 psi on Dunlops.

·
Registered
550 Posts
i have isolated all four lines cant find any leaks me idea was to leave them on these valves a couple of days see what happens 55psi in back 60psi in front seems about right for ride height going to do a change of orings while i am at it as well sure i should have done this in summer

Like I said, use minimum amount of pressure to lift the sides. If you can't find any leaks on the Spring circuit rebuild the valve block and go from there.

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
Hi

The amount of pressure and the ride height are not related. The air springs are inflated and when the pressure is high enough the car is lifted off the bump stops. After that the volume of air is adjusted so the car rises. The pressure required in the springs does not alter it still supports the weight of the car and the pressure remains the same. There is difference in pressure when the springs work together during the lifting but once it settles each spring supports it own corner and this should be the same weight at each height.

When pumping up pressure read at a manometer at the tank is higher then what actual pressure you have in the spring. There needs to be a pressure difference otherwise the air will not flow. The air only moves because the pressure in the spring is lower then in the tank.

Regards

Jos

·
Premium Member
1,113 Posts
It's pretty squirrelly trying to level the vehicle by manually filling each bag with a pressure gauge. What Jos explained is the first hurdle (pressure to come off the bumpstops then volume to lift) , but as you add or remove air on a single corner the load on the other corners changes, thus the pressure, and the height, and so on spent chasing your fine adjustments. It gives you a whole new appreciation for the assistance of the electronic leveling system. If my memory recalls right, I think my vehicle leveled out in the 50-70 psi range. Rear bags at a lower pressure than the fronts... all depending on how your vehicle is loaded. Then you and your passengers hop in... :roll:

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for all replys sorted now no leaks from airbags New problem new seals in compressor old one was split put back onto car but i not getting any pressure from pump system works ok (i put air in from home compressor into line ) but no air from rr compressor is working but i could blow into a paper bag harder that the amount of air its putting out reading some of the problems on here says it could be overheat sensor but all say compressor donesnt run if this has gone and it is defo running Help

·
Administrator
27,793 Posts
If your compressor is running but not putting out much air then you have a compressor problem. It really is that simple. If your thermal were blown it wouldn't run at all. Tiem to swap in a known good unit and check things out. Sadly without a real location in your profile there is no way anyone can suggest someone near by.

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
Hi

Check your valve block silencer. If air is blowing from that when the compressor runs, your diaphram is gone and needs replacing.

Regards

Jos

1 - 12 of 12 Posts