RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
JACK'S GRANDAD
9,244 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have had a problem in the very cold weather of the left rear airbag fully deflating while it has been cold. I seem to remember there being an issue with one of the back lines getting melted, anyone know which one it is? I tried searching but no avail.
Airbags are Arnott, 1.5yrs old. Valve block rebuilt, Faultmate showing no faults. It airs up right away when started, and takes @10 minutes to start going down!
Driving it, it is perfectly normal and operates in all ranges perfectly. Makes no difference if I park it in high, normal, highway or access heights. Does the same thing.
So far I have;
Sprayed all around the air bag collet, no bubbles.
Sprayed all around valve block with cover removed and the airline connections. No bubbles.
Wiggled airlines at all connections, no bubbles.
My next step when I get back home is to run some new airline from the bag to the valve block and see if it goes down or not. I have enough 6mm to re plumb the whole system, but was going to plug it into the bag and run it along side the rover to the valve block as an experiment before taking the time to route it all nicely.
Any other suggestions before I get home and tackle it? Sounds like the airline to me, but am open to suggestions. I was going to park it and remove the timer relay, but ran out of time before I had to leave out again. I do not have any faults though, so I dont know if the ecm is doing some weird stuff or not, but it is only that 1 corner that goes down, all others are pretty much normal.

Martin

·
Premium Member
2002-2005 Range Rover MkIII / L322
3,622 Posts
I would remove the timer first...just to rule it out.

The cold does crazy things with the fittings...are you spraying everything on the REALLY cold nights...or during the day when it's warmer? It could just be an o-ring shrinking just a tiny bit during the cold. (either in the valve block or on the bag)

If you felt like narrowing it down even further, you could swap the rear bags side to side, and see if the problem follows the bag, or stays put.

·
JACK'S GRANDAD
9,244 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes I sprayed them down when it was very cold!!! As my frozen fingers could attest.... :naughty:
I will try to unplug the delay relay when I get home too. I would have done it but I replaced the clips with brand new ones and now they are tighter than....... :oops:
i really hope it is the airline and not a bag, as I have not heard good things about Arnott and their warranty.... :think: But it would only take @15 minutes to swap them over I guess, never thought of that! :thumb:

Martin

G

·
0 Posts
I would think if the line melted it wouldn't even inflate. My right rear airline melted a couple days ago and immediately lost all air within a couple seconds. Heres a pic from a TSB on airlines melting, it came from the main site.

Attachments

·
JACK'S GRANDAD
9,244 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks Max,.
Those were my thoughts also, if it had melted it would not inflate period!
Ah well the mystery continues, until Uncle Dennis gives me a real obvious answer that I overlooked! :lol:

Martin

·
Registered
931 Posts
I have a similar problem with the front right airbag.Goes down to the bumpstops overnight and immediately reinflates in the am.
Pretty cold here too with snow still covering the ground.Too cold to spend time outside looking for obscure leaks.bags are old,I believe to be the orginals.So I have ordered two new OEM bags and will replace both front and see what happens.Will see what happens :shhh:

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
865 Posts
leftlanetruckin said:
Thanks Max,.
Those were my thoughts also, if it had melted it would not inflate period!
Ah well the mystery continues, until Uncle Dennis gives me a real obvious answer that I overlooked! :lol:

Martin

you'd be surprised it was indeed I that posted up this very issue a while back, air lines melt depending on exhaust and not both pipes melt.

the vehicle I had in had one melted pipe (comp to tank) and one sabotaged rear right pipe, very small hole right next to clip on chassis cross member

G

·
0 Posts
I had both the tank line and right rear line melt again last night, not 2 weeks after replacing them. I got irritated and spent about 4 hours rerouting lines today. I ran both lines in front of the radiator and down the right side to avoid the exhaust. The only problem that I can see so far is they are a little close to the RH exhaust manifold, but I'm sure they make some type of tape or sheath to protect them. So far so good.

·
FOUNDING MEMBER
4,509 Posts
could be a pinhole somewhere in the line, not unheard-of. and swap the lines at the block, MUCH faster than swapping the springs, and narrows it down to line/spring vs. block. then swap springs if need be.

·
JACK'S GRANDAD
9,244 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Good call Dennis!
I knew you would tell me something obvious mate... :thumb:
I will get on with it when I get home!

Martin

·
Registered
49 Posts
Hi all,

I'm having a simular problem. Here in Biloxi Mississippi it's been getting really cold for the south and now my air suspension is not coming up. I have no EAS error or fault. I started the Range and let warm up and finally they came up but the next night they were all down again. Now i can't seem to get them all up again. Some come up, others don't. Sometime the front will come up one day and the next day only the back ones. Any ideas?

Thanks, Chuck

·
FOUNDING MEMBER
4,509 Posts
lukyrange said:
Hi all,

I'm having a simular problem. Here in Biloxi Mississippi it's been getting really cold for the south and now my air suspension is not coming up. I have no EAS error or fault. I started the Range and let warm up and finally they came up but the next night they were all down again. Now i can't seem to get them all up again. Some come up, others don't. Sometime the front will come up one day and the next day only the back ones. Any ideas?

Thanks, Chuck
Leaks and a worn out compressor. A full overhaul kit is your best bet.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts