RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi folks,
As the title says...when left parked in 'normal' height, after an hour or two, the car is sitting at 'offroad' height. It drops down to 'normal' when fired up and driving, so not a massive problem, just weird! Any ideas as to why, and what to do to stop it?
The 'self-levelling' function seems to be switched off, which is fine, but if it isn't, where do I find it in Nanocom?
Cheers!
Iain

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hi there, it suggests there is a kind of general leak in the eas valve block. When it is so quick, you probably can hear it with a stethoscope on the valve block ( units). Note there is a delay relay that shoold perform corrections when left parking. Some people exchange the delay relay with a normal one (or when the time part of the relay does not work any more). Then there will be no corrections when left parking
yours simon janssen netherlands.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Looks like a valve block rebuild is needed...pissing with rain, so not today! :)

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Okay, rain went off, so I whipped out the valve block after listening to it leaking through the exhaust valve, after I took off the silencer. That's where the air disappears overnight! As a temporary fix, I swapped the one non-return valve that sits 'nose down' with one of the other 'paired' ones. No more leak...:) Also, thanks Simon, swapped the Timer Relay for a four-pin generic, it doesn't click like crazy when I lock it, now. See if it stays at 'normal' height overnight...and has air in the morning! Valve block rebuild kit ordered...

·
Registered
1,571 Posts
Don't forget that with the timer relay swapped you won't be able to connect to the system with any diagnostics, so make sure you keep the timer relay for then.

·
Registered
92 Posts
I have the same issue on the rears; sometimes it raises up and sometimes not. It's got to be one of the NRVs in the valve block... right? Tha'ts the only path from the tank to the air springs.

I recently rebuilt it but I guess one or more of those little valves are not seating correcty. Would it more likely be the O-ring around the valve or the little valve with its spring? I don't know if I can be bothered dismantling it again, right now.

Tom

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Don't forget that with the timer relay swapped you won't be able to connect to the system with any diagnostics, so make sure you keep the timer relay for then.
Yes, thanks, mate, got it in the glove box :)

·
Registered
519 Posts
Mine does same where rears rise up when parked (my auto levelling is also disabled when ignition off).

Not checked valve block yet, but I suspect weak NRV2 spring and bad seal on Inlet valve plunger. The valve plungers have small rubber inserts that tend to get a dimple in them over time. Apparently they can be carefully pulled out with a toothpick and inverted so the face is smooth again.

As OP says, not a great problem but will be looking at my spare valve block. I already refurbished it a while back, but didn't check the plungers. Maybe it's time.

·
Registered
92 Posts
After reading up on this, it seems that if it was the inlet valve, all four corners would raise up. With mine, only the rears raise up, and not always. What is there in the valve block that could cause this? I'm looking at the EAS valve block diagram and can't see how one of the NRVs could cause this.

Thanks

·
Premium Member
1,259 Posts
For any bag to inflate, there need to be at least 2 valves leaking (the one for that bag and either the inlet or the exhaust and NRV3). For all bags to inflate, 5 valves need to be leaking, which is unlikely. If you're still using the timer relay, my guess would be NRV1 is leaking and when the EAS tries to lower a corner, it is actually adding air from the tank. Also note that infalting or deflating one bag will have an effect on the entire axle, so it's hard to determine if the problem is just one corner or both (unless the difference is large).
Filip

·
Registered
92 Posts
Thanks Escape. I've been driving with the original EAS timer relay in. I just took it out and put the regular four pin relay back in. I'll watch it for a while and report the results.

Tom

1 - 11 of 11 Posts