RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

My 1997 4.6HSE's front right side has been lowering overnight. Yesterday, we checked the right side front bag for leaks by raising the car to max height and spraying the rubber spring. Only saw minor leaks that should not cause the car to sink overnight. So we let it stand. After about 4 hours, we sprayed it again and this time, there's a leak where the rubber meets the metal housing on top and the leak is all around, not just at one place. Should I just remount the airbag or does this mean that the bag is torn at the very top. This is a newish bag with no cracks.

Thanks,
Philip

·
LIFETIME CONTRIBUTOR
2002-2005 Range Rover MkIII / L322
5,394 Posts
A dealer mechanic told me that they apply tubeless tyre bead sealant to that joint.

I'm about to try it myself as I have the same problem on a brand new bag. The RH one started to leak after about 2 weeks on the car.

I'll call him tonight and ask which sealant they use.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks! i hope that will solve my problem.

Also, can anyone point me to a step by step guide on how to remove the rubber bag and reinstall it? The one in the Repairs section of the site seems confusing to me.

·
LIFETIME CONTRIBUTOR
2002-2005 Range Rover MkIII / L322
5,394 Posts
I haven't heard back from him.

What's confusing about removing the rear air suspension unit? :?:

It's one of the simplest jobs on the car (at least it is in climates where there is no salt on the roads in winter and thus no corrosion of the pins).

Jack up the car under the axle, support chassis on stands, remove airline from top of unit, pull top and bottom R-pins, lower axle, remove suspension unit, That's it.

Or do you mean removing the rubber bellows from the top plate? I just use tyre levers for that job.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts