RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, as the new owner of an old P38 I am having great fun with this electronics kit on wheels. However all good things have to come to an end and I need to get this thing inspected. Now before I bought it, the previous owner had converted it over to coil springs, but never got rid of the 35mph maximum warning message. Evidently his inspection station is more forgiving than mine!

He gave me a kit consisting of a fused two wire connector and jumper assembly which I fitted according to the written instrutctions, but the warning message didn't go away.

I researched this forum and found lots of posts about having to jumper the EAS ECU (such as pin 25 up to battery voltage (pin 1), and pull pin 7 down to ground (pin 18 )). Okay, I thought, I need to do that as well. So I did. Sod it! The warning message is still there and the Beast is in for it's inspection Thursday morning.

Okay, so some of the advice I've found is contradictory, such as whether the jumpered EAS connector should be plugged back into the EAS or left off, and some people specify under the driver's or under the passenger's seat - which doesn't help much unless they say whether it's right hand or left hand drive!
:roll:

Now please yell at me when I go wrong....
:naughty:

The EAS is the bottom ECU on the left hand side of the vehicle under the driver's seat on a USA left hand drive vehicle. I jumpered the pins which are nicely numbered (25 to 1 and 7 to 18).

The instructions for the wire connector I was given refer to a green plug on the opposite side of the vehicle under the right hand front seat. I even found a Youtube video showing where the green plug was and how to check I was cutting the right wires and wiring the blue & white wire to the positive connector down the side of the ECU, then wiring the blue and pink wire to the ground, also one the side of the ECU.

So my question is... wait for it.... is this all a load of dingo's kidneys and the fused jumpers on the non-EAS ECU under the right hand seat has nothing to do with the EAS warning message as I am beginning to suspect?
:oops: Alternatively with all this messing around is it likely I've blown a fuse somewhere?

I guess I could always stick some black tape over the warning message as a last resort? Any thoughts gratefully appreciated and thank you for your patience on what is I know a rich seam of threads on the subject.

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Okay, got it sorted. The instructions that came with the wiring harness were a load of rubbish as i was beginning to suspect. Took out the extra wiring I'd put in under the right hand seat and - bingo, the 35mph warning disappeared! So for anyone else struggling with contradictory information, just do the modification to the EAS box under the left hand side.

Now on to the brakes, shocks, and a wheel bearing. Fun.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts