RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an issue with my EAS which is quite baffling. At very regular (daily) intervals my EAS fails due to the pump not operating. It just won't start when required yet I can easily operate it via either my Nanocom or Hawkeye Total.
So far I have rebuilt the pump, replaced all the seals and diaphragm in the valve block (and tried a spare), replaced the solenoid under the passenger seat, replaced the valve actuation box (black box attached to valve block), replaced the pressure switch and replaced the eas ecu. I wreck Range Rovers so admittedly all replacements are second hand but exactly the same fault persists. The air bags hold pressure (rears are new) so I am totally at a loss as to how to proceed.
The according to the diagnostic equipment the fault is identified as a stuck valve but this remains consistent despite two separate and one newly rebuilt block used.
As far as I can see the only item left to replace (I have spares) are the switches on the dash. Surely it can't be this?
I can't help think that I am missing something obvious. Can anyone help?
Many thanks, Ivor.

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
If it is the same pump and you can operate it from software but not when needed, the most likely problem is the temperature cut-off in the pump has failed and gone open circuit. Unplug the pump and use a meter to check for continuity between the orange and black wires. They should be shorted together internally. If open circuit, that is the problem. Three choices, replace the complete pump, strip it and replace the temperature sensor or jumper a wire between orange and black.

·
Registered
519 Posts
Usually it's bad joints on the thermal sensor wires. Bit fiddly to do, but remove the rear end of the pump, and solder the wires & thermal sensor pins on the board.

Reassembly is easier if the slip-ring is still there & not worn away. Use the ring to hold the bushes back while assembling the PCB & cover back onto the pump. If slip ring is gone, then you need to find a way to hold the bushes back.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys for your responses which I really appreciate and both seem in agreement. I will try joining the orange and black. Fingers crossed. Ivor.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You guys are absolutely awesome. First thing this morning I joined the orange and black wires and the pump fired up straight away. Can't thank you enough for all your help. Ivor.

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
It's probably overheated when it needed a new seal which has popped the thermal switch. They are supposed to reset when they cool down but I suspect they only do that a few times before going open circuit permanently.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Ah. That little plastic ring inside the pump. That's what it's for! If it's missing or worn you can slip the ends of the springs that hold each brush down then clip them back into place with tweezers before you slip the end of the pump back.

A good thermal switch should measure about 7 - 11 Ohms I think.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts