Range Rovers Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

· Registered
2010-2012 Range Rover MkIII / L322
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just a report of what happened to my 2011 L322. I'd appreciate remarks or comments.
Last week I went out to get some stuff at the store after two or three days of not driving at all. We bought the Rover for the ability to lower the suspension for Mom and whomever to get in and out easier and, of course, the L322 offers a lot of 'luxury' stuff that wouldn't be on other cars for under $20K. So I kind of got in the habit of lowering the Rover every time I parked.

So, I get in the Rover and it was lower than the lowered position. It would not raise to the low or normal position and eventually gave the message of suspension fault - do not exceed 30 miles per hour. Friends said that it must be a fuse. I checked almost all of the fuses including the 10 Amp fuse that seems to be for air suspension - maybe to run the pump. I didn't find any bad fuse. I put all the fuses back in after checking and put the fuse box cover back on and started the Rover to check for any more information. It raised itself up to the normal height and now it seems to be able to go up and down properly. I think it might have a leak in the front because the front will be a tiny bit lower after being parked for 12 hours.

Maybe that leak drained all the air from the system and it decided it couldn't raise again? Pulling the fuse reset the status ???

So I don't lower it when parking any more. Probably need to find and fix a leak...

· Registered
31 Posts
lowering every time puts a lot of unnecessary stress on the compressor. When you think about lowering vents air out of the four bladders. When you raise back up you use all the air in the reservoir. this in turn requires the compress to top off all four bladders and fill the reservoir.

Moving your post and this response as it is off topic.
Oops. Sorry - Thanks for the help. I probably have no business owning an L322 because of my low income (ability to pay for repairs)

It has almost 110K and I'm not sure about the history. Bought it from an upscale used car lot who got it from an auction after two rounds of lease. This is the first sign of any trouble since I bought it. Carfax report says suspension was checked periodically but doesn't indicate any replacement. I'm guessing that it would be wise to replace the compressor. Any advice about the bagpipingandy repair? Or is there a budget fix you recommend?

· Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Again, thanks everybody including Burcin. All this help is appreciated. Of course it generates more questions.
1. Many parts websites offer struts (or other parts) for the L322 but if I look further, do they apply to a 5 L Supercharged Rover. Like Island 4X4 says their struts are for L322 with 4.2 L engines. Does the 2011 Supercharged use different struts than other 2011 Rovers?

2. I intend to start by checking for leaks. But if I rebuild the compressor and fix/replace the dryer, what sources do you recommend for these items? It looks like compressor rebuild kits are not all the same.

You folks on this forum have restored my opinion of my Rover. I've always loved it with reservations.

Thanks
Bob

· Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Are you bothering to read the replies that have already been posted in your thread?
I answered this question on page 1.

So Sorry... It isn't a bother to read each and every post. This will be my 15th post, yours was 8,888. You have obviously seen and thought about a lot (really a LOT) of Land Rover problems and issues. You know exactly what you meant by:

"The SC has adaptive dampening, so different struts.
I put new bags/bellows on our '11SC struts from Arnott, zero issues."

Maybe you meant that you got 11SC struts from Arnott that you had to put new bags/bellows on.

Keep reading and don't ask stupid questions. OK

· Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Is there an air valve for each air bellows to release air to lower the RR?

I don't have an owner's manual, I guess someone sold it somewhere along the way. So I don't know all of the details. My dealer keeps telling me they will give me one. Saying doesn't seem to be giving.

So I tried again to raise the Rover. I took the lid off of the turtle so I could hear the compressor. The compressor runs but the Rover didn't raise. I listened for air leaks and lie you said, I could hear a hiss at the front right. So I jacked the front right up and that let the air bag fill up. The Rover raised to normal highway height. I lowered the jack and shut off the engine - the compressor stopped and the Rover stayed at highway height. I could not hear hissing. I waited an hour or so and this didn't change. I started the engine and pressed the down switch.
Vehicle Car Family car

The Rover went down below the normal low level I've ever seen. Again, I tried to raise it without result. I jacked it up again and pressed the up switch. It raised up to the highway position and stayed there. It is still up now, 5 hours later.

So it seems there might not be an air leak unless the Rover is down. Again, I apologize for my lack of knowledge but I sort of thought that is why we ask questions.

· Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
After some surfing I see that there is an air suspension valve block. it is hard to tell what is what cuz there are so many Land Rovers with air suspension and the L322 SC is a different animal for lots of stuff. So I see different offerings of air blocks but couldn't find one for the L322 SC. The ones I could find range in price from $95 to $1500 something. I found an O-Ring kit on eBay.

So, given the situation I posted above - When it goes down, it stays down, and if you can get it up it will stay up - (no alternate meaning) - is it likely that my problem is in the air valve block? And where is this air valve block for the front (right) of an L322 SC?

thanks,
Bob

· Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
Thanks Mark. That is super helpful. I love having those diagrams.

So after my exercise of lifting the frame at the front right. letting the suspension pump up to highway height and back down a couple times, I left it up and drove a couple miles over some medium bumpy roads. Then I went to the store 7 miles away. It is still at normal highway height. So, like you say, I'll do the exercise with the wheel off so I can try to see where bubbles might be coming out.

Bob

· Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
No, I wish I had left the compressor cover off so I could tell. I will have to do that tomorrow. SWMBO has me booked out for this afternoon.

· Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
Update: I won't do the test to see if the compressor runs while driving until Wednesday. I have a dentist appt Wednesday and I'm afraid that if I do the test and it continues to leak after the test, I won't make the appointment that I've paid for.
Bob

· Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
It's getting to the point where it would be quicker for you to drive it to me to fix the poor thing......rofl
So Sorry! We have just the one car, the L322. So I am afraid to lose all my transportation. I can drive it at highway height if I drive it every day.

I'm certain that it is a leak in the right front air bladder. If the car sits without starting for two or three days the front will go down to the bump stops. The thing is, it won't pump back up from there. If I jack the front up and wait for the bags to fill put to normal, it will stay up for a couple days. So like Mark C says " What is probably happening is when you lower the truck, the bladder is being flexed at a different point on the bag and the cracks in the rubber open up allowing the air to escape, collapsing the whole assembly. " Does the air reservoir keep the air bags inflated when the car isn't started?

So I'm saving my allowance to buy a right front air bag and I'll find out if I can change it myself.

Thanks everyone!

· Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
Spraying them was said on page one.

Martin
I understand about spraying them and I understood then. Since this is my only transportation and I live in a rural area, I was afraid to do anything drastic that might totally disable the Rover so I didn't want to take a chance on anything.

low budget bob

· Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
I know it has been a good long while since the original problem but I finally changed that right front air bag today. I bought an Arnott - I think it was around $257 from eBay. There is a nice youtube from Arnott that helps. Of course everything went nice and smooth in the youtube. I'm glad I went to my Son in law's. he has impact goodies. I don't think I could have gotten the strut out without the impact tools. So anyway, The my Rover has divorced the old bag and gotten a pretty now one and all is well with ride height and mother load height. Changed the front brake pads while I was at it.

Thank all you guys for your help. I've learned a lot!
Bob

· Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
Hey Bobert,

Thanks for the update I am having the same problem with my 2011 l322 HSE. Did you purchase the air springs with VDS for that price $257?
YUP. Look at: https://www.ebay.com/itm/292770137252.

Mine leak was interesting. The Rover was OK if I left it in normal or high but if I lowered it, it would never come back up and you could hear a serious leak. Looking at the old air bag, I couldn't see where it was leaking.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.