RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thank you to everyone who has contributed to the forums regarding EAS (almost a library now) Unfortunately I am unable to find the key to sort my issue. I get FF,1, FF, 1 reoccuring in the rx box and have tried over several days with 3 different laptops with direct connection of the cable and still am unable to unlock my EAS fault. From what I have read, I have a synchronisation issue but am going spare on finding a solution. I will be most grateful if someone can let me know what has worked for then in this situation and would love to hear from anyone in Brisbane who has used this unlock software successfully.

Many thanks in advance.
Dean

·
JACK'S GRANDAD
9,235 Posts
When I had communication issues with the eas via the OBDII port, it was the connector behind the panel that is next to the foot rest (left hand side, NAS spec). Moisture had gotten into it and corroded a couple of wires. 15 minute fix and been perfect ever since. I assume that the connector is in the same place on a RHD model, so maybe remove the kick panel and have a looksie?

Martin

·
Registered
53 Posts
Change the com port!!

I thought mine was port 3 but then it wouldn't un-lock changed it to comm port 1 and everything hunky doory!!

I still can't get my head round why the EAS system has soooo many different faults??

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
42 Posts
After scrolling all 9 (I think 9 - bad memory) com port choices in the software and still no connection, I went into the device properties and discovered the laptop (vista I think - I dual boot with XP) had assigned a com of something like 15. A simple change to another available port within the sofware range enabled instant connection.

·
Registered
483 Posts
P38HSE said:
After scrolling all 9 (I think 9 - bad memory) com port choices in the software and still no connection, I went into the device properties and discovered the laptop (vista I think - I dual boot with XP) had assigned a com of something like 15. A simple change to another available port within the sofware range enabled instant connection.
I get that - if the com port shows as above 12 tehn just keep unplugging and plugging in again until you get one that you can select

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
42 Posts
waveydavey said:
I get that - if the com port shows as above 12 tehn just keep unplugging and plugging in again until you get one that you can select
Possibly? Sounds a bit of a lottery as you'd then need to check all 12 ports again in the software.

When I went into device properties I selected the USB to serial adaptor, went into properties then somewhere in there you can specify which com port to use. Again, from memory and I'm away from home just now or I'd confirm how to do it for you - sorry.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Many thanks for your advice, I have been reconfiguring ports with each laptop to see if that would fix it but still no joy, guess I'll have to just keep trying. Have also selected each one up to 12 each time and got no where. I did pull out the connecter from the under pannel to see if there was a corrosion issue, but looks fine. I'm sure it is something simple, but maybe I'm too simple to figure it out just yet.

·
Registered
56 Posts
I too had endless issues trying to get my EAS software to sync withthe laptop as all 'available' USB ports were above the 12 or so settings in the software. If this is your problem then you will need to get into device manager and find out what devices are using the ports. what i did was delete one of the more obvious ones [my printer] which happend to be on com9 and then plugged the EAS cable into the laptop set com9 and it worked fine.. The only downside is that it does not automaticaly re-sync each time I plug the cable in so I need to select com9 manualy. I am not terribly computer savvy so I may well be missing a trick somewhere it must be said!

Vital item for a P38 owner, 10/10 for Tom Story [?] producing the freeware.

Gordon

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks Gordon, I'll give it a go...hell, I'll give anything a go it it gets me moving forward. Thanks Paul looking forward to your PM.

When i set up the port as per instructions, I now only get a PP in the rx box while the other box runs normally, I cannot get any reading, clearly not sync'ed. Incidentally, with each laptop i use, i connect on port 3 but the rx is FF,1,FF,1,etc but can get height etc readings. i know i am still not sync'ed but its the closest i get.

Does anyone know someone in Brisbane i could visit to sort this out?

Cheers
Dean

·
Legacy Vendor
341 Posts
simonsend said:
Does anyone know someone in Brisbane i could visit to sort this out?
Wander over to aulro.com and check out the P38A Forum. Look for a bloke named Hoges (he lurks here too)... he's pretty clued up on all things P38A and is in BrisVegas.

Cheers, Paul.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Happy Ending...

Following an enjoyeble general discussion with Paul about how great these beasts of the dusty tarmac are, we tried to figure out the reason for the fault which turned out to be a pin in the OBDII port connector that had receeded into the port connector case and was simply not connecting. After repacing the pin in the right spot and applying a drop of adhesive, everything now works like a charm. Was a poorly made cable afterall. Good lesson learnt...buy your gear from a P38 enthusiast, not someone on the net out to make a quick buck!

A big thank you to Paul for his help...this guy really knows his stuff and has put together some amazing resouce material http://paulp38a.com & http://hardrange.com and my grateful thanks to those who contributed their helpful comments in this thread.

Cheers
Dean

1 - 14 of 14 Posts