RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
874 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello:

Couple days ago, I posted about the EAS hard fault, and subsequent issue w/ compressor not starting. I've apparently sorted that out, as the compressor now starts up.

The issue I have is, prior to the EAS fault, I've noticed that the compressor would run noisly, with lots of vibrations. Now, that the compressor is running, I'm still noticing the same thing....Compressor would run normally (ie relatively quietly w/o any vibration), then all the sudden the compressor would be noisy as hell w/ lots of vibrations....

So, is this a problem w/ the compressor? Like the counter balance of the piston going out of wack or something? Or, is this something like the drive box or valve block going out of wack, and causing issues? It's odd, as compressor appears to function normally, but then, starts to make lots of noise and vibrations. Another possibility is the relay.....

Any thought?

·
Registered
640 Posts
Have you actualy checked the condition of the Compressor Rubber Mountings to see if they could be causing the problem?
Might be worth a look.

Cheers

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
1,365 Posts
When you have checked the mountings, think about this:

Is it possible that when the comp is quiet it is not under load - some leakage somewhere allowing the air to escape therefore not causing the comp to have to "work"?

Then, when it actually pumping it has to work harder and makes more noise, albeit a quite distinct air pumping ...... :)

·
Registered
148 Posts
TheoR said:
Now, that the compressor is running, I'm still noticing the same thing....Compressor would run normally (ie relatively quietly w/o any vibration), then all the sudden the compressor would be noisy as hell w/ lots of vibrations....

So, is this a problem w/ the compressor? Like the counter balance of the piston going out of wack or something? Or, is this something like the drive box or valve block going out of wack, and causing issues? It's odd, as compressor appears to function normally, but then, starts to make lots of noise and vibrations. Another possibility is the relay.....

Any thought?
How long would you say you are running it for? Are you making it run by using some form of manual meathod? If you are running it manually then maybe there is too much presure in the tank and the air maybe trying to blow back past the piston. Is the compressor running alot or for a long time? It might be getting really hot and causing problems too. It may not have enough air flow through the filter which can cause heat issues.

I once was checking a fault with my EAS and had the compressor running and then got a phone call, it kept me busy for a little too long and when I came back my compressor was making a SHOCKING noise and vibrating like crazy. It then blew the thermal switch.. I still need to fix that.

·
Registered
874 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the ideas, guys.

The mountings actually look good.

Never thought about the possibility of the distinctive sound created when the compressor is under load and when not.... What would this indicate, possibility that the compressor piston is shot? I did take apart the compressor, and saw that the 2 bearings (One on the motor side and the other on the piston itself) in there were smooth...Although I did notice a bit of grease on the bearing on the piston.

Right now, the EAS is running w/o any manual overide. Although, I am noticing that the compressor is running more frequently than it should...A leak somewhere is causing the compressor to run too hot? I hope I'm not gonna blow the thermal cutoff switch, though I've already sourced it just in case......Not to mention that I've already have a cut in the orange cable, so I can bypass it.

Any possibility that the loud noise and vibrations is caused by the pumped air going somewhere it shouldn't, or possibly over pumping?

·
Registered
874 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I was leaning towards worn compressor, but atleast visually the teflon seal looked excellent and the piston moved smoothly......I was figuring to start replacing w/ cheap items and see what happens......For example, I was thinking of replacing the relay, then maybe the teflon seal or teflon/piston combo, then move on to drive box.........

At the same time, I'm pretty sure I have a leak somewhere, so I need to find where it is, too

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
If it is any comfort, I have had a leak for a year, but only recently realised it, after changing the valve block, driver pack etc.

Apparently it is from one of the rear air bags, and very subtle.

I would try to find the leak before changing parts the next time! :oops:

·
Registered
874 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yeah, get your point.....Not a good idea to just start replacing parts w/o knowing the exact cause. That's my dilemma as I don't know the root cause yet.

Anyhow, as for noise I think I've found out the problem. The 3 bolts holding the compressor in place were not tightened down much so the compressor was dancing around bumping into things.

As for the EAS fault and other issues I've had, I think I know what's causing the problem now. When I was starting up my car this morning, I decided to fill up the air tank, as the leak somewhere has dropped the car to bump stops. I had the bonnet open, and listened to the compressor. All the sudden, I've heard the compressor go quiet. I touched the compressor, but it wasn't hot or anything...So, I guessed that it wasn't the thermal cutoff. Then, I decided to tap the compressor.....Lo and behold, compressor started moving again. Until the tank got filled up, I had to tap the compressor couple of times, but eventually, I got the tank full.

So, looks like I have a bad electrical connection inside the compressor itself.......It might be one of the brush that's losing connection, as last time I took it apart, I noticed that one of the brush was a bit sticky.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts