RangeRovers.net Forum banner

21 - 39 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
2002-2005 Range Rover MkIII / L322
144 Posts
I'm hoping replacing the right front sensor will fix my problem (just like suprise's problem but not intermittent and no issues with speedo).I got the code for right front wheel speed sensor open circuit from my All Comms. I've got the new sensor but I'm just waiting to put it in, seems it's going to be a nightmare getting the old one out as it is stuck and crumbling to pieces when I pull on it. Here's my sensor, tire wore right through the wires.
IMG_0975.jpg IMG_0977.jpg

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Thanks for the support guys.
Esteban: I will pay the dealer for the diagnose ($135) but I will replace the sensor myself this weekend. I ordered the remainder 3 sensors from roverparts so that I have a fresh one on each wheel. I will try to snap a few pictures of the swap. I will send an email to Storey if the front right sensor happens to solve the issue. I am still very suspicious because the tacho speed reading comes from the rear left sensor so why would I get a dead speedo if my front right sensor faulty???

EvanK: thanks for the support, I hope this fixes the problem and good luck on your fix.

I'll keep you guys posted and thanks again.

·
Registered
152 Posts
The rws all Coms gave me bogus codes when my sensor went also, still think its a great product but One to watch out for.

If it is your speed sensor I'm surprised you had no change with your idle.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
UPDATE:
After getting the car back from the dealer who diagnosed a faulty Right Front Wheel Speed Sensor, I went ahead and replaced all (4) wheels speed sensors.
The problem has remained the same, I still get the Inactive EAS and the Speedo drops to zero.
Any thoughts?

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
I would hate to have to bring the car back to the dealer and give him another $135 for a diagnosis. I have been corresponding with Storey (RSW founder) in regards to the wrong diagnosis. He updated his software to correct the mishap. However, now it;s throwing the code for the rear right wheel speed sensor (which I replaced earlier).
I feel like I'm hitting the wall here.
I still have not addressed the steeting wobble at 40mhp. This may be throwing the height sensors off and creating an inactive air suspension but I don;t know how it would affect the speedo.
Any help/suggestions would be appreciated.
Thank you
Sebastien

·
Registered
144 Posts
An update on my similar issue: Today I replaced the front right wheel speed sensor and was then able to clear all the ABS and EAS faults, and the problem is solved. Huge pain getting the old sensor out though.

suprise, I'm wondering if your issue may be with the ABS module itself, perhaps the ABS computer has become damaged? Are you able to clear the faults, only to have them return after your next drive, or are you unable to clear them? When my sensor was bad, I was unable to clear the ABS fault at all. Perhaps if you are able to clear the faults, it points to an issue other than the sensors themselves. Good luck with the troubleshooting. Evan

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
You are correct EvanK, I am able to clear the codes and the car will behave normally for a few miles (10min driving). Then the Speedo would drop to zero and the EAS Inactive message would appear together with the yellow BRAKE and ABS lights, all simultaneously.
I did a continuity test on the left rear ABS sensor to verify wiring but I may need to do the same test on all 4 corners.
My ABS module multiplug is spotless, not one sign of dirt or corrosion. Is there a way to test the ABS module?
Thank you

·
Registered
184 Posts
...I still have not addressed the steeting wobble at 40mhp. This may be throwing the height sensors off and creating an inactive air suspension but I don;t know how it would affect the speedo.
Any help/suggestions would be appreciated.
Thank you
Sebastien
Surprise, I told you that I was having similar messages, although my speedo never acted. However, in my case I attributed them to vibration from a defective tire. My reasoning was that at some point, the readings from the involved height sensor where giving mixed signals to the computer, and the Christmas tree lights were showing. As soon as I replaced my tires, all the lights disappeared for good. I didn't have any problems with the system, and the only thing I was getting from All Comms was a "can bus fault".

Maybe you should try to correct the steering wobble first, just to rule out everything. It seems to me that the suspension sensors are quite sensitive. Just an idea. Hope you solve this, because it will become a learning experience for all of us.

·
Registered
228 Posts
I agree, you should correct that wobble you have.

In regards to ABS ECU, the only way to test is with Testbook/T4 or swap the unit out with a known good one. I am still a little concerned with the errors you have from the instrument cluster, and whilst I am still pointing a finger at ABS ECU, there is a possibility that the instrument cluster is at fault. The reason is this... the fault does not occur until a couple of minutes into the driving. Everything is just fine, however at some point and for some reason - the fault randomly appears and you get a checksum error (this error is like a watchdog for the communications, where if the data coming in or going out of a unit does add up to an agreed value, this error is given. A checksum is just a hashed total calculated from the data that should arrive at the destination, allowing the destination to compare the arrived data with what the sender says is there - if this makes sense). This checksum error you have is most likely from the ABS CAN bus data, however it could also be from the instrument cluster.

My gut feeling is that it is most likely the ABS ECU or associated communication cabling. If you can get your hands on another ABS ECU then this is worth a try (not an easy task to change as you have to bleed all the brakes after changing)

I hope this helps... it is difficult to diagnose this sort of issue without seeing for your self, so please post as much information as you can.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
UPDATE:
Yesterday as I drove the 50 mile drive to the airport to pick up a friend, something different happened. On the highway, after 15min of driving, I got the EAS Inactive/Brake Light/ABS Light warnings but the speedo was still working and kept functioning until I got to the airport (50 miles later). This has never happened to me before as the speedo would always cut off at the same time as the EAS Inactive message would appear.

I took the opportunity to have my passenger run the AllComms diagnosis while the speedo was still working and below are the various code I got:

Air suspension query -
Front Left Height Sensor Fault.
Front Right Height Sensor Fault.
CAN bus Fault.

HEVAC Control Unit - Air quality sensor line fault.
Seat Sensor - Steering column axial motor - short circuit.
Left HID headlight - Ignition voltage < 7.5 volts.
Right HID headlight - Ignition voltage < 7.5 volts.
Instrument Pack Module - EBV function fault received from ABS ECU.
Lighting control module -
Air suspension active/inactive.
ECU EEPROM fault.

Engine Immobilizer - Key 2 - Random code tolerance increased.

The two new code I got pertained to the front left and right height sensors. As part of last weekend's diagnosis, I unplugged the 2 front height sensors to clean the harnesses with electronic cleaner. The ignition was off but the battery was still connected.
This may have triggered a fault but I'm not sure.
My next step is to replace all (4) height sensors to rule that option out.

Upon arrival at the airport, the speedo dropped shortly before getting there. I ran the codes again and the new fault was the following:
- Rear right wheel speed sensor open circuit.

As of this morning, the same symptoms as usual showed up (EAS + Dead Speedo)

I am not sure what to think of yesterday's unusual events.

·
Registered
184 Posts
The two new code I got pertained to the front left and right height sensors. As part of last weekend's diagnosis, I unplugged the 2 front height sensors to clean the harnesses with electronic cleaner. The ignition was off but the battery was still connected.
This may have triggered a fault but I'm not sure.
My next step is to replace all (4) height sensors to rule that option out.
We don't know the condition of your tires. Some of your problems, minus the speedo, happened on mine. I knew I had a defective tire causing a minor vibration in the rear, but at the beginning didn't think this will be causing some odd messages and codes. As mentioned before, the new tires solved everything.

At least, rotate your tires and check what happens.

Don't buy new height sensors until you have checked each height sensor with an ohm meter to see if they are ok in its entire travel.

Hope you solve your problems

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
Esteban: I thought about that when I read your exprience with a flat spot. However, the tires and wheels are 30 days old. I had the same steering vibration before and after the tires/wheels.
Unfortunately I have already ordered the height sensors since AllComms gave me the hard fault on the (2) front sensors.
I'll let you guys know if anything evolves after the sensors are replaced.
Thank you

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
Guys,
here is my plan - feel free to comment
Since I've already placed the order for the 4 height sensors, I will be replacing those first and see if it makes a difference.

I just found out from the BMW X5 guys that there is a company specialized in repairing ABS Modules. They do not service the actual module but the EBCM (Electronic Brake Control Modulator)
Here is their website: http://www.modulemaster.com

bosch_exploded.gif

They report following common errors with those units:
Common Problems • Loss of communication with module.
• Loss of one or more wheel sensor inputs.
• Intermittent functionality.
• Water penetration.

http://www.modulemaster.com/en/wizard/bosch_57/bmw_error_codes.php

It costs $300 and takes 3-5 business days. The advantage is that they refurbish my unit so I won;t need to get it reprogrammed as if I was swapping it with a used/new one.
After all the time spend swapping sensors and checking wiring, I believe this is the next place I need to rule out.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Sounds like a good idea if you have ruled out physical sensor faults. ABS ECU is the logical step.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
Re: Eas inactive/brake/abs - FIXED!!!!

FINAL UPDATE – PROBLEM FIXED!!!!!

As described on my previous posts, I have desperately tried to identify the source of my Air Suspension Inactive + EAS + Speedo and Odometer issue. I replaced all (4) wheel speed sensors and verified all wiring to the ABS Module.
I then decided to hit the BMW crowd since most of the same era BMW sedan and SUVs use the Bosch 5.7 ABS system.
In realized that the BMW folks were having common failures of their Bosch 5.7 ABS Module. This gave me the hint to get mine rebuilt.

I sent my module to Module Master and for $330 I had my module rebuilt and back in the mail 3 days later. They were top notch and I highly recommend their services. The repaired module has a 5-year warranty.
They shipped the module back to me with a detailed description of the failure.
They described the repair and the failure as: “Repaired damage to power return circuit and 8 line sensor driver section to restore proper module operation. Installed high current shunt to protect power return circuit from future failure. Module has a 5-year Warranty”

I installed the module back in the car and all issues were gone. I have now driven about 1,500 miles and no sign of the fault.

Guys, I read so many posts on this forum of people having similar issues. I understand that they may not all be related to a ABS Module Failure but if you experience a similar problem I suggest you read the below diagnosis article put together by the BMW owners on how to narrow down the failure.

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showpost.php?p=4205801&postcount=48

I hope my experience will help many Rover owners
Good luck

·
Registered
184 Posts

Congratulations, Surprise, and thanks for sharing this fix.

More or less, this thread with all that you've done, has become a comprehensive guide of this type of failure, and will keep it at hand.

·
FOUNDING MEMBER
938 Posts

Hello folks!!
I just replaced the two front speed sensors and cleaned the rear ones. But still have the dreaded lights. If this was the problem, would the lights have gone out on their own or do I need a computer to clear them out?
Thanks!

·
FOUNDING MEMBER
938 Posts

I was able to solve my problem!! One of the connections was not seated fully. No more xmas tree lights!!

·
Registered
1 Posts

Hi,

1st time here, but have to share my case.
I read this topic and I have RR -2006 with TD6 (BMW M57).

So almost similar problem speedometer stop working couple of time and power steering missing. Lot of air suspension messages (but suspension working ok).ABS Light coming one timeFinally car doesn't start anymore, (start motor working well, but no any "spirit").
And BRAKE light was ON (yellow).

In my own case, problem was a ignition switch bottom! There was huge voltage drop +15 pin. This switch bottom was changed and all the problems disappeared!

21 - 39 of 39 Posts