1 - 20 of 71 Posts

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hy fellow Range Rover keepers
I have been reading a lot and trying to find a fix for my problem,
but did not come across someone with the same problem.

I own a p38 4.6 hse 1999 running on LPG
Last year my air springs were replaced by a so called expert here in Holland.
they could not re-calibrate my air springs and all height settings were wrong.
i've been back there twice. they measured the wheel arch height but cold not get the rigt values to stick.
Later on i found out they cut my air hoses near the air-springs to easily fit the springs,
using real crap couplings they leaking all the time.

so i cut some calibration blocks,
and did it my selve using the easunlock_suite.
the calibration blocks work like a charm but yes there is a but

When i drive, the front right corner drops could also be the front left rises i can not be sure.
because when the car is parked it's level
The only fault i get from eas is "Vehicle Has Moved"

- searched for leaks and fixed some.
- cleaned the sensor connectors
- Put in new higt sensors
- Rebuild valve block
- New pump
- swapped the driver block and valve block for an used one
- disabled eas overnight car drops an inc or so not to bumpstops

i'm thinking i will open up the valve-block tomorrow and double check everything
could it be worn rubber on airspring plungers:?:

Do you guys have any idea what could be the problem

·
Registered
476 Posts
Search "EAS driving me insane" for my thread on a similiar problem. The cure was a new BECM, the main computer for the car. Good luck!

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hmm tank you for your reply, i hope BECM is not the case.

will have a look at the valve block first and swap the non return valves and see how the plungers for the air springs are first
hope for some changes

i will share my findings

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Sadly the eas block check did not help.
the right front corner still drops during the ride

So yesterday evening i parked the car waited for leveling and than shut dow the eas by removing the delay timer relay.
this morning the car was (2cm) 0.8 inch lower on all corners than when i parked, i guess because the temperature doped over night ?

so i started the car waited for it to level again and after 6 hours not drop maybe even a little raise of (0,5 cm) 0,2 inch temperature rose 5 degrees in the day?
After i took the car for a spin with relay still disconnected, after the ride front is (2cm) 0,8 inch higer while rear same as before.
could it be temperature again, airbag warming up from the engine ?

Still this looks like the bags and air line are fine although the eas computer says "Vehicle Has Moved"

maybe ill try and swap the air hose on the valve block front left to rear right and do the same with the solenoid caps these are easily reachable and if the problem shifts to the rear i know it's the selenoid valve/plunger.
although i don't see much use for this since i swapped the valves during the checkup

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The cure was a new BECM, the main computer for the car. Good luck!
Hy SteveG,
i see no reason to suspect my BeCM it does little to nothing to the EAS but read fault signals, also my problem is different to yours.
But thank you for your reply

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
To day i cut wood blocks for all 4 heights
befor i only had blocks for standard height and i wanted to know if i was far of on the other heights, i was not.
But it is nice to know heigts in the computer are all ok.

Still what happens is.

When i park the car all heigts are ok exept the driver side is like 0.8 inch (2cm) to high over night the entire car drops all 4 corners 1 inch but still the driver side is higher bij 0.8 inch.

if this is what happens during me driving the car, my problem is not the right side dropping but the left side rising.

How am i going to fix this ???

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
i started to day by cleaning the eart point's
and the fuse box
it think i'd better order a new one it's pretty corroded and i se some cracks in the upper right corner

2013-03-19 11.07.52.jpg

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well i put in a new fuse box
but no change on the EAS part:|

Checked for leaks none found.

it looks like i can put in and read out correct values in the ECU but they come out wrong.
The car levels at different height than programmed.
front right to high
when i start driving it looks like front left is to high.
this was the other way around i know weird or what.:?:

Could the drive box cause this behavior?

·
Premium Member
2,565 Posts
To change the springs nothing needs to be done regards 'Calibration' because the height sensors haven't been moved/changed (or shouldn't have been just for springs).

Calibration will not be accepted if it's outside of the values expected by the EAS ecu, you can't set or calibrate a height value for 'Standard' height that is in or too close to 'High', for example. Although this may not actually be the problem here but as you don't say what values you've entered I thought I'd mention it.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hy Larry,
thank you for replying.
What you say is tru.

The values i entered are wat i got from calibration.
there fore i am sure they are correct.

To change the springs nothing needs to be done regards 'Calibration' because the height sensors haven't been moved/changed (or shouldn't have been just for springs).

Calibration will not be accepted if it's outside of the values expected by the EAS ecu, you can't set or calibrate a height value for 'Standard' height that is in or too close to 'High', for example. Although this may not actually be the problem here but as you don't say what values you've entered I thought I'd mention it.

·
Premium Member
2,565 Posts
Hi efarmer, So you're just trying to "Write" one corners values from the "Get" value shown. Are those heights valid or reasonable after the shop did whatever they did.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
what i did and maybe forget about the crap shop cut my selve some calibration woodblocks

Standard Height: 100mm 105mm

Access Height: 40mm 45mm

Low (Highway) 80mm 85mm

High 140mm 145mm

so after placing the blocks i know the correct heights and am able to program the right heights in to my EAS ECU.
and i did.

But now even tow the ECU has the right values the actual heights are wrong.
going in to the ECU and reading the actual values are off accordingly.
This is telling me the ECU get's the right info from the sensors.

in real life this means
when parked the right front is an inch to high.
But wen i start driving around visibly the left is to high or right to low,
i'm not able to measure this since i'm driving.

after testing and trying i'm down to replacing the valve driver or ECU itself.
Not sure what to do driver is most affordable and i hear ECU hardly ever brakes down

Hi efarmer, So you're just trying to "Write" one corners values from the "Get" value shown. Are those heights valid or reasonable after the shop did whatever they did.

·
Premium Member
2,565 Posts
Your not entering those heights shown are you, your [meant to be] entering the values (bit values) that correspond to those heights.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Your not entering those heights shown are you, your [meant to be] entering the values (bit values) that correspond to those heights.
`)Haha you just had to ask he.

don't worry i entered the bit values
130 130 132 126
104 104 109 104
85 85 97 91
64 64 79 73

Any idea on how to determine it's the valve driver or the ecu?

i did swap the valve driver for another untested secondhand one, same result.

·
Premium Member
2,565 Posts
Best to be sure :thumb:.

Is it when it changes to "highway" or as soon as you set off in "standard". Those figures are front L R and Rear L R.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
yes LF RF LR RR

well it's moost noticeble when driving on highway, but i think this has more to do with the surface of the road being flat.
some times i think it puls itself level for a little while maybe minutes

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
looks like this except for the out of range part and i already have the upgraded RQT100040 ECU and higher vin nr.

Technical Service Bulletin, number 0007, "INCONSISTENT RIDE HEIGHT - ELECTRONIC AIR SUSPENSION (EAS)", admitting that bad ECUs were interpreting valid height sensor signals as outside range. The affected vehicles were in the VIN number range from VA 346794 to WA 409701. The remedy was to replace the ECU (part number RQT100040).

·
Premium Member
2,565 Posts
Thought that could be the case but i think the front axle should have the higher figures, if its not the calibrated values it sounds like a leak perhaps "highway" is exposing a bad portion of the bag or the sensor is hitting a bad portion of its track.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
the front sensors are original old but good LR sensors
in the rear the are replaced with new britpart ones.
had also new ones fitted in front, no change so i swapped back the old ones.
there is where the values come from.
also i tested the bags pulling the timer relay and drove around for a while, no significant drops.

did i mention i'm struggling whit this prob. for almost one year now:twisted:

thank you for your thinking with me !!

·
Premium Member
2,565 Posts
...no problem efarmer,

The height values expected to be seen by the EAS ecu are consistantly higher for the front axle, could be if its not a leak or bad values that this is causing the issues.

1 - 20 of 71 Posts